Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Vintage Singer 319W I brought home today

Here is my new (old) Singer 319W born around 1954ish in the original table. The table is a bit rough, but is functional. I spent 2 hours cleaning it. It was DIRTY. The machine sounds very loud, but I just downloaded the manual and will oil it tomorrow. I'm also ordering up the special needles it takes as the needle in the machine is so old I can't read the numbers on it. The machine came with like 28 discs and is in good condition. I few chips of paint, but I'm so excited with my find!!! I love it. I just hope I can get it to quiet down a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats

You should really like it. It is a follow-up from the 301/301a. It also has the direct drive (not belt driven) with the added perk of zigzag and specialty stitches.

You will LOVE having the direct drive. I was told that I would when I bought my 301 and boy were they right!!!! LOVE IT. She can power through anything that I have tried - including THREE layers of dog collars.

Enjoy her. They are definitely worth their weight (which is a 'bit' more than the 221) in gold.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrhboxers
    You should really like it. It is a follow-up from the 301/301a. It also has the direct drive (not belt driven) with the added perk of zigzag and specialty stitches.

You will LOVE having the direct drive. I was told that I would when I bought my 301 and boy were they right!!!! LOVE IT. She can power through anything that I have tried - including THREE layers of dog collars.

Enjoy her. They are definitely worth their weight (which is a 'bit' more than the 221) in gold.
    I just ordered the needles, a new belt and bobbin winder tire. I'm going to resist sewing on it as the bobbin case has been nicked in the past with an incorrect needle. So, I will be patient until they come.

Congratulations! :thumbup: :thumbup:

She is a beauty. Enjoy her.

Neat

Enjoy your new machine.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!!!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    That's such a cool machine!! Haven't seen it before.
    Love the cabinet too! Have fun!!!!!!!!!!

That looks exactly like the machine my mom had! I have no idea what happened to it, I know my sister had it for awhile. Hope it works great for you! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Here is my new (old) Singer 319W
    I just brought a green 319w home yesterday!! I found it on Craigslist and it was only 10 minutes away from my house so how could I resist?? :roll:

A green 319 has been on my wishlist since I saw a You Tube video of a 319 that some one had put into a treadle cabinet. Have you seen that video, yet? Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PVLI-LHDc

I guess the bobbin is in an awkward place for changing it but that's alright.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Here is my new (old) Singer 319W
    I just brought a green 319w home yesterday!! I found it on Craigslist and it was only 10 minutes away from my house so how could I resist?? :roll:

A green 319 has been on my wishlist since I saw a You Tube video of a 319 that some one had put into a treadle cabinet. Have you seen that video, yet? Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PVLI-LHDc

I guess the bobbin is in an awkward place for changing it but that's alright.
    The bobbin isn't really in an awkward spot, as most vintage machines have the bobbin in the same spot. What's awkward is that the throat plate doesn't slide on or open. You have to snap it on and off when the machine is lifted back. So, it's just easier to lift the machine back to change the bobbin. Which makes it heavy for some people with hand and shoulder problems.

I've been sewing on mine for some rag quilt projects and need to buy the heaving #12 or #14 needles.

I also picked up a black 319W I had to get in running shape!!!

Blog Entries
    May I ask what one might expect to pay for a machine like this? How popular are they? How common? Haven't seen any like this - but might be on the lookout!

Quote Originally Posted by runninL8
    May I ask what one might expect to pay for a machine like this? How popular are they? How common? Haven't seen any like this - but might be on the lookout!
    I've seen them listed as high as $500 because people are infatuated with the idea that if it's an antique it's worth a fortune. We have several listed on CL in my local area for much more than I'd pay. I paid $40 for this one in a cruddy table....not running. Most need new belts and other items. I've put probably 20 hours into it refinishing the table and and about $40 in parts and materials. So, it's cost me about $80 in total. Can I resell it for more? Probably, but I'm not going to get rich:> It's truly a labor of love with some of these machines.

My black one I paid $45 in a really bad table. Likewise it wasn't running and I had to completely redo it and have spent about $10 in parts. Probably 8 hours invested so far.

So....be prepared to spend more for a running, good condition machine and less for one you have to refurbish. They're out there if you want one! But, don't spend a fortune on the machine if it needs work. And remember these take specialty needles that you can only get online.

Here's the thread about the black one I've refurbished. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-148274-1.htm

And here's the thread about the cabinet refinishing job I did..

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-145486-1.htm

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info!

Blog Entries
    I have a bad case of sewing machine envy...

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Love your new baby. Sorry you have to wait for supplies but worth the waiting. COngrats.