Morse Apollo 2600 DoA

Old 02-10-2015, 11:30 AM

Default Morse Apollo 2600 DoA

This poor thing .. was given to me last sat.

it was left in a rental house 9 years ago and missing the slide plate. The new renter only used it as a table, now she is moving and gave it to me.

other than the normal dust it was as clean as new. but stiff and would barely run under power, I gave it a shot of my marvelous mystery oil . powered it up holy molly. That made it worst wouldn't even turn over ( WTH ?). check it over again , nope she's clean, feed dogs are full of link, so it's well used.

back to hand turning and power, bam it starts running, picks up speed , starts running like a top.

I thread it, and sew, go through all the functions. it never misses a beat very quite and smooth.

BUTT, the presser foot is weak and on a slight angle. we know how to fix that,

loosen the screw and that part moves down, (dang should have removed the presser spring first). I get the set up part back up. tighten that, the foot is still on a angle and very little pressure.

I put it on the side, till sunday . when I loosen the set screw again, same thing it pushes down and have a very hard time getting that back up, so I start taking the presser system a part to see whats happening. dang it all to h$$. The part with the set screw is broken.

it's the part that keeps the foot straight, the spring pushes down on and the foot lift works on .. simple little pot metal part.

it also missing the push button on the light and one screw at the spool pins.

it was a cool machine, the light also lights up the dash panel LOL. I has a few built in patterns, what was fun was being able to control those via the ZZ lever while sewing.

The machine was made by toyota, when you look at the broken part, it looks as if it was made to fail. where it's broke , it's very thin and almost looks like a per made fracture line cast in.

so fubar
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509571[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509573[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0544.jpg   100_0542.jpg  
Old 02-10-2015, 11:56 AM

I guess this was made in the 60's ? you know very well back then this would have been a 20 cent part. yes it could be robotic welded , but I don't have the 250,000 $ machine to do that.

no JB weld isn't going to work. I could make a part. I'd guess that would take about 10 hrs. so far I do have a part thats is close but the off set of the broken tabs is off just enough that it won't quit work

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509610[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0558.jpg  
Old 02-10-2015, 02:16 PM

They make low temp solder for pot metal. I haven't tried it so can't say for sure how well it works. You see guys selling the stuff at antique shows, fairs, gun shows etc. If you can catch one at a show maybe have them demo on a real live broken part.

It's a neat looking machine. I think it's worth trying to save.
Rodney
Old 02-10-2015, 03:09 PM

If the part is the one I'm thinking of, I've broken the same part on a Singer. I'm agreeing with Rodney, check out the used parts places and see if you can get a replacement part. That's too nice a machine to give up on.

Ace Hardware has a lot of different solders, you might find what you need there if you want to try that route.

Joe
Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 PM

You pic of the broken part loaded after I posted. "IF" that little part is steel, not aluminum or some mystery metal you could use silver solder on it. Done right, that will hold.

Joe
Old 02-10-2015, 04:08 PM

it's fixed, back together and working fine.

first off I can weld cast iron.

not sure what it's made from, I said pot metal because of the looks of the gain at the break. all night and today , my little brain kept saying the Germans went to cast steel in the mid 50's, most think it's cast iron.

I can't imagine the Japanese using cast iron , what ever was used , it's a low quality casting/ low density .

so what the hay it's broken, finding another part welllllll why not weld it. I've welded 1880's singer parts with good results.

so do all these welding things that must be done. buzz, buzz and a few extra buzz buzzes, grind grind , file here and there. guess what it fit right in first time around.. no slop. pressure foot now has all the tension it needs, every thing lines right up. that part is stronger than it was new.

O I did JB weld it 1st ,,

it broke off just trying to install it ..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509647[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509649[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0560.jpg   100_0559.jpg  

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 02-10-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:38 PM

Wow. That looks very Astro Boy.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 PM

Astro Boy works well enough to do this.

FYI this is a Toyota. The bobbin winder is on top. The tire had turned to goo, and I mean goo, like tar. I didn't removed the tire.. I had to use a rag to wipe it off. it was turning to a liquid from being a solid. I've heard an other story on here about the tire turning to goo. I still have black crap on my hands from wiping up the mess

I did this in white last night on a 15-91, that didn't show very well

all astro boy did was go over the white thread. I did break upper thread a few times, untill I set tension low on top and tight on the bottom.. at that point was about 10% into covering over the white
I'm home schooling so I have to go over every thing twice

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509672[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0562.jpg  
Old 02-11-2015, 02:52 PM

Glad to see you got it fixed. You're getting pretty good with that darning stuff.
Rodney
Old 02-11-2015, 03:04 PM

What ya mean me, I though this machine was one of those fancy new kind . That does this stuff by it's self.

actually this thing only has two more buttons than a old black singer has.

It does say Blind stitch in bright red, Heck I can do that all by myself, without looking.