Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Mother and grandmother died - old machines in our house >

Mother and grandmother died - old machines in our house

Mother and grandmother died - old machines in our house

Old 12-26-2016, 10:12 AM

The coffin top and treadle base go with the last table (the one on it's side). I'd offer the three together - though someone may only want the base, but then you get all three down the road.

The Coffin top type were quite a bit older than the other machines you have, more around the turn of the century or earlier - so 40 -70 years older than the other two machines.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Yes, it looks unusual - that's because it is standing on its side. The drawers are on the top and bottom, and when you see the side facing you, (second last picture) that is the top with with cutout for the machine. Not too unusual. Just has no irons. The treadle base is gone.

Just tilt your head to the right and you will see it.
It took me a second look.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BobHoward452 View Post
The last table I am not sure what machine goes with it. I think the coffin top may go to that last table?

anyhow thanks for posting here to see what we've got.

i am in north New Jersey for those of you who asked.

I will I'll probably post these on Craigslist but I'd rather them go to someone who appreciates the machines.
I would turn it right side up and see if it fits.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
The coffin top and treadle base go with the last table (the one on it's side). I'd offer the three together - though someone may only want the base, but then you get all three down the road.

The Coffin top type were quite a bit older than the other machines you have, more around the turn of the century or earlier - so 40 -70 years older than the other two machines.

Thank you, I see how it all fits together. My mother always just used the threadle base as a small table for whatever reason. I think because she like it. I have a particular affinity for that base growing up seeing it in the house and pumping the peddle and it may be the one thing I hold onto.

for the other stuff, what is a ball park to list it as. I just want to put up a fair price, I am not looking to make money, I don't want it sitting for sale for months either.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:29 PM

@BobHoward452 - if you list the Kenmore on CL, you can determine the Kenmore model number by looking at the machine's data plate under the front lip of the machine's bed. The model number will begin with 158.xxx or 148.xxx. The '158' or '148' refers to the manufacturer with whom Sears contracted to build the machine (a Japanese company in your case). Yours is probably a '158' by Maruzen/Jaguar, a top of the line Kenmore machine of its day.

Last edited by J3General; 12-27-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-27-2016, 02:48 PM

I'd list for $100.00 or $125.00. List each one separately. Take good photos. If you have any attachments, cams or manuals, list that you have them. I'd expect to get $40 or $50 each for them without any attachments or manuals. Prices vary. If you want them to move quickly, start at $75.00. You're unlikely to sell the treadle top with the missing drawer without the base. Of course, the next person may do exactly what your mom did and change the treadle base to a table. The coffin lid might bring more. I've never watched what they are going for.

That said, I'm in Texas and prices vary according to your area of the country.

bk

Last edited by bkay; 12-27-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:45 AM

Those are nice cabinets though. The wood looks like it is in good condition and someone would probably want those.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:55 AM

The Kenmore will not get you much. I see the cabinets on sale on CL locally with the machine insde for free. That Kenmore can probably sew the pants off any modern machine. I have serviced a lot of machines and given them to people that can't afford a machine. I believe it will sew leather, even match sticks. They are heavy and people don't know what a treasure they have. I think you should put your area of location on here so if someone from the board would want it if they are close. If you keep the frame, I would put the cabinet back on it with the lid as a piece of decorative furniture. There are many sewitsforsale who would treasure you items.