Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moving a Singer 27 Treadle

Moving a Singer 27 Treadle

I am thinking about buying a beautiful treadle machine that is about 2 hours away from me. My problem is that I drive a Pontiac G6. I do not know if I can get this thing in my car. I have thought about placing it upside down in the back seat or maybe fitting it in the trunk. Does anyone have experience with this? I hate to drive that far and then not be able to fit the thing in my car.
    Also, is there anything I need to know about moving these treadles? Does the head need to be removed? Thanks in advance!
    Julie

They are easy to take apart into three pieces, machine out first, then remove the treadle from the wood. I turned mine upside down to remove the treadle and I could easily reach the screws. Good luck.

I'd pull the machine out of the cabinet, then turn the cabinet upside down and strap it in with the seat belts. Wrap the head in a blanket and put that on the floor.

I wouldn't take the treadle irons off the cabinet unless it just wouldn't fit in the car otherwise.

Joe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
    They are easy to take apart into three pieces, machine out first, then remove the treadle from the wood. I turned mine upside down to remove the treadle and I could easily reach the screws. Good luck.
    Thank you! It is a "Pheasant" decal in a beautiful ornate cabinet. I think I will go and get it tomorrow.

I love the pheasants. Hope you can post a picture when you get it home. Good luck!

Hope you can bring it home soon! I'd also love pictures, and I'd love to find a Pheasant 27 also!

Like others have said - take the machine out. Remove the drawers too - bring a couple of plastic bags to put any "goodies". Put a flat strap on to secure the cover flap so it won't try to open up on you once you have the machine upside down and are getting it into you car.

The good thing - the machine is half the weight, so the cabinet even with the irons isn't all that heavy to deal with.

Take some tools with you - small standard screwdriver to loosen the pins to take out the machine, and a bigger one to take apart the cabinet if needed. Unless someone replaced the screws, they are all standard.

Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely post pictures when I get it. I am really glad for all the info on how to move it.

By the way, do you all think $125 is a good deal? They look to be in good shape, and the cabinet has lots of beautiful scrollwork on the drawers and sides.

Did you get the Pheasant home?

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I'd pull the machine out of the cabinet, then turn the cabinet upside down and strap it in with the seat belts. Wrap the head in a blanket and put that on the floor.

I wouldn't take the treadle irons off the cabinet unless it just wouldn't fit in the car otherwise.

Joe
    I'm 100% agreeing with Joe. I've never removed the irons for transport, but take the machine out or it will be a killer to lift.
    My Singers: Model 12 (1883), VS2 Painted Red and Cream Roses and Daisies (1891), VS2 Victorian (1891), Model 15 (1917), 27 Tiffany (1900), 66 Lotus (1922), 96k41 (1949), 96k41 (1947), 103k (1950), 201k (1953), 206k11 (1950), 222k (1959), 306k, 319k, 320k2, 401a, 411g
    Others: Necchi Supernova Ultra 2, Climax, Empisal (1960s), Bernina Record 530-2, Bernina Record 830, Pfaff 60, Pfaff 260

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast