Moving time questions ....

Old 06-05-2015, 08:21 AM

Default Moving time questions ....

We've got the big truk in the driveway. We're going to put everything we're going to keep in the house and garage in it then head to the storage locker for the sewing stuff. Not sure how much of that we'll get this trip. We may have to make a second trip.

At any rate here's the question(s).

Background info.

A couple years ago I got a Singer 9W-7 in a broken treadle. The mover had put it at the end of the truck fully assembled. At some point he hit a big bump; the treadle went up then came crashing down. The head ripped out of the wooden top and went almost all the way through the drip tray. The cast iron treadle plate broke the cast iron center piece.

So ... before loading all my treadles I'm going to pull the heads, and removed the treadle plates from them.

Is there anything else I should consider doing to make these more secure in moving?

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 06-05-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:26 AM

Oh dear. Bad start. I always remove the head from any table or treadle. They can bend hinges and even tear right out of the tables. After removing the head, I lay treadle cabinets flat with a couple blankets underneath and secure them. Be sure to use padding under any straps used to secure so it doesn't rub.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:10 AM

Take care of the cabinet drawers whenever doing any movingof the machines. The racks and the drawers are very fragile. Place every screwand small part and in a baggy with a note as to what it is and the machine itbelongs with. Take pictures before taking apart. These things I have learnedthe hard way.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Banned

1. I completely dismantle my treadles to move, I use blankets between the bits when stacking
2. I remove a screw, remove the part, and then put the screw back where it went, so I do not get them mixed up.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

We recently moved a treadle in the car. It was an 8 hour drive. Took the machine and drawers out and then put the base upside down in the back seat and buckled it in. Seems to have survived admirably. I guess the same could apply in a truck. Upside down and tethered down.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Banned

upside down is how Singer shipped them originally.

See THIS post
Old 06-06-2015, 06:44 AM

So are you moving back to the Hoosier State Joe?
Old 06-06-2015, 06:59 AM

Joe and Mrs. Joe,

I sure don't envy you moving! I've done that a lot in my life. When we built this house 14 years ago (4 years before my husband died), I swore that my next move after that one would be to the cemetery. Lord, I hate to move. Well, so far I've kept that vow! I hope it won't be too hard on you both!

Jeanette