Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cleaning vinyl stuck on a Singer 301a >

Cleaning vinyl stuck on a Singer 301a

Cleaning vinyl stuck on a Singer 301a

Old 06-02-2015, 02:47 PM

Default Cleaning vinyl stuck on a Singer 301a

I purchased a re-painted Singer 301a last year. It didn't come with a case so I put it in a duffle bag to store it. When I took it out after a couple of months, the vinyl had stuck to the machine in two places. The two spots are small -- perhaps a half to 3/4 inch, but they are right in front. I'm sick about it because I paid way too much for this machine. But it was painted my favourite colour and was manufactured the year my sister was born. I know - not a good reason to overpay, but I was happy with it. Until now, that is.

I have my Featherweight stored in the same kind of duffle and have had no problem with the case sticking to it, but it has the original paint job on it. I'm guessing the paint on the 301a hadn't had time to cure long enough?

What can I use to clean the stuck vinyl off the machine without damaging the new paint job? I thought about WD 40 which is my go-to cleaner for just about anything, but then thought the good folks on here might know of something better. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Sorry this has happened and I will let the experts give you advice. I have had good luck with putting Vaseline on a sticky window sticker but any petroleum product may damage the machine finish?
Old 06-02-2015, 05:13 PM

since there is no adhesive to soften I an not sure wd40 or any of the normal products will work. the solvents in the paint have softened the vinyl and caused it to adhere to the paint surface. You may think about using a heat gun/hair dryer and try softening the vinyl and peel it off.... I am afraid that it has damaged the paint at this point any how. you could always "scrape" the vinyl hoping to get through it and stopping short of the paint. ( like sandpaper ) vinyl does not sand well ... if you do not peel the paint you may be able to color sand and save the finish.

Good Luck.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:55 PM

dab some baby oil on the patches and the edges....let it sit for afew minutes....should help to just slide it off.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:15 AM

I have never seen a re-painted 301 (except if it was black, who would know) wish there was a picture...what color is it?
Old 06-03-2015, 04:51 AM

I haven't a clue on this one. I fear as greywuuf says the solvents in the paint have caused this and I am not so sure you will come out on top. I hope you find the answer and can get the vinyl off without damaging your paint job.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:23 AM

Spray it with Avon Skin so Soft, let it sit for a few minutes. Gently pull it off. If all of it doesn't come unstuck, spray again and let it sit, etc.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Try a really warm cloth first and see if that helps and try to work it off gently. If nothing then try a blow dryer on warm. I would just work in stages. I had a purse hanging on the back of my bedroom door and it stuck. No matter what you do there probably will be a dull spot where the vinyl was. Hopefully it isn't too large. Just use baby steps. You may want to try the WD 40 in small increments with a Q-Tip. Just spray it into a small cap then use the cotton tip or a tiny paint brush.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:50 AM

Thanks, everyone. I'll try the blow dryer first then the Skin so Soft and then move to the other suggestions if they don't work. I really am heartsick about this. For the person who asked to see a pic -- here is my baby right after I got her and before I damaged her.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521409[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails blue-301a-front.jpg  
Old 06-03-2015, 08:35 AM

Ooooooo is that purty! I sure hope you can get the vinyl off without damage.

Joe