My collection inventory

Old 11-19-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
I use a spreadsheet on the computer, print it out, then keep track of changes on the sheet, now and then I update the computer spreadsheet.
Yes, I made a spreadsheet yesterday based on the great ideas in this thread. I wish I knew a way to connect files like photos and manuals. I could paste in one photo, but I have a lot for each machine. For now, I'm putting in links to online manuals. I need to go around to all the machines and add serial numbers.

I think a database app would be ideal, so it could be on the computer and the ipad and sync, but a casual quick search didn't turn up anything.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jmabby View Post
I find it surprising on how much time and money is spent on each machine.
Um, yes. An unfortunate side effect of making the spreadsheet was that I could quickly total what I've spent. I've only bought 3 machines that were over $100 - the two Featherweights and one Free 5 that was really pristine and gorgeous - and the new Singer 27 Pheasant with the parlor cabinet was $275, so I knew that was a lot. But, wow, those other $25 and $60 machines sure add up in a hurry! And that's not counting the supplies, tools, parts...

Time to start selling.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:21 PM

Someone please tell me how to save this post so I can do all this for my son to start selling off some of my sewing machines. I have two regular sewing machines that I use exclusively, and my Gammill, but that is a no-brainer. If I ever get serious about cleaning my sewing room up, and getting rid of the clutter, this has to be the starting point. You would think that someone who was a secretary for 25 years would already have done this. I just keep putting it off. I guess I have Lynnie's saying stuck in my head and can't get around it (at least I think it is hers--the procrastination one).....
Old 11-19-2014, 03:18 PM

I like the idea of the binder with the manual inside. I make copies of the "most used need to know" pages of the manual to keep with the machine and store the real manuals in my craft room. I am going to look into this binder idea. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2014, 03:24 PM

I say go for it on the spreadsheet Champanier. It was the whole purpose of the share to collaborate ideas.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:30 PM

Champanier, You can also put a link that will go to your saved manuals in files on your computer. It is the same principle as jumping within a section of a book. Go to your help section in your spreadsheet program and search for this technique.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:36 PM

You can save your spreadsheet and do it in Dropbox. Then it would be accessible on all your electronics and you could share it with certain people. I have done it with my resume so I could email it from my phone while I was at work and found out about a job opening. Very easy to do.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dotte View Post
Champanier, You can also put a link that will go to your saved manuals in files on your computer. It is the same principle as jumping within a section of a book. Go to your help section in your spreadsheet program and search for this technique.
Oh, that's great! I'll look it up.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
Someone please tell me how to save this post so I can do all this for my son to start selling off some of my sewing machines. I have two regular sewing machines that I use exclusively, and my Gammill, but that is a no-brainer. If I ever get serious about cleaning my sewing room up, and getting rid of the clutter, this has to be the starting point. You would think that someone who was a secretary for 25 years would already have done this. I just keep putting it off. I guess I have Lynnie's saying stuck in my head and can't get around it (at least I think it is hers--the procrastination one).....
At the top of each page here is "Thread Tools". I clicked on that and found "Subscribe to this thread." Now that thread is always available, and I get an e-mail notice if someone posts more answers to the thread. You can choose how often you want to be notified of posting to the thread. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:54 PM

What a great idea! I only have 4 machines, 2 of which are vintage but for purposes of others knowing about them when I'm gone I might have to write some of this information down.