Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stash Inventory Idea

I'm a fairly new quilter starting to build a stash. Lately, I've gotten into the habit of scanning fabrics as I bring them home. I save a jpeg file of each one in a "Fabric" folder I made in "My Documents". It's easy to do and very convenient to be able to browse the files without having to physically go through my stash. I can print full-scale paper copies of fabrics to cut and play around with when I'm in the designing stages and I don't have to cut into the fabrics I love until I'm more sure how I want to proceed.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Very neat idea..

Well aren't you the smart one to be so well organized!

Very aggressive inventory plan. I am not that ambitious, though. Also I like the feel of the fabric when I am planning, and also, I don't have to worry about my monitor messing up the color. I'm just more of a hands-on type of person. But more power to you! I like the part about being able to come up with design on your computer with the various fabrics. (Also, I am not that computer savvy :( ).

Please take no offense - none was intended at all!

That is a great idea!

Blog Entries
    What a great idea :D:D:D

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Too organized for me. I like diggin thru the shelves as I find some I forgot about. LOL. I am so glad some of you are organized. I am gong to put all my fabric left after the sale on the hard comic book covers I bought for 9.99 at the comic book store for fq's and smaller yardage. Then the cake boxes mats from JOann's using my 40% discounts. Got the idea on this board too. Thanks for sharing

Great idea!

DoxieMom, for those of us who are not computer savy, when you have time would you do a Tutorial, walking us through with just one piece of fabric, so we'll be able to see the steps. Being a teacher I'm know you will be able to do us a 1, 2, 3, etc. steps or so. Thanks in advance. Sounds so time saving.

I was having a hard time figuring out why this idea didn't appeal to me and it's because the time taken to get that organized would take time away from my quilting....and I have little enough of that as it is. Also...I do like surprising myself with some piece of fabric I squirreled away for a special quilt and forgot about.

very good idea.

If I could figure out my scanner, I would do that!

Blog Entries
    Pretty smart idea :idea:

Blog Entries
    Aren't you the little smarty pants!!?? :lol: :lol: I love that idea!!! :thumbup:

Oh, Me, Oh My! I would probably never be that organized. I used to be before I married and started growing "old". I can blame the clutter on DH if he is watching TV and won't know I said that can't I? LOL

I have so much scanned on my computer now that I need another hard drive. Have flash drives full of photos, patterns, etc. Forget where I scanned things to.

But it is a good idea!

Blog Entries
    I'd like to think I would be that structured, but I recently bought over a hundred pieces, and I know I'll never take the time to scan in all those.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I met a woman who wrote an ap for her smart phone that catalogues photos of all her fabrics by color family, type, and pattern, along with running total of yardage. It was impressive, specially since she mostly collects reproduction prints, many of which come in various color ways and it's easy to re-buy. Since it's on her phone, she has it handy while shopping, but can also keep the list on her computer for online purchase consultation.

I personally don't buy or organize that way, but I think it's a great use of technology, specially if you are just now starting to collect fabric.

It IS a great idea, but I just like to go through my stash, and feel it too!

I don't know if I would have enough space on my hard drive to accommodate ALL my fabric, :( :( have just purchased 105 batik fat quarters to go with the other 40 odd yards I have. But a girl can't have enough fabric right!!!

Power Poster
    Nice idea!

great idea but for me fondling the stash is part of the fun when picking fabric for a quilt top.

I'm not sure I want to take the time to scan all my material, but I saw someone post that they scanned the fabric they were thinking of using to cut up & play before getting into the fabric. So last night I scanned 4 pieces on to my computer so I could print & play with. Hopefully tonight I will be able to play with the paper & see what I like.

That is a great idea - thanks for sharing it!

I got the idea to scan fabric when I was trying to figure out how I wanted to use a small amount of fabric that I really, really loved. After that, I just got into the habit of scanning anything new as I acquire it because it's easy to do right away when the fabric comes "home". I'm not going to go back and scan stuff already in my stash unless I have a limited amount that I can't afford to waste during the design process.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie
    I'm not sure I want to take the time to scan all my material, but I saw someone post that they scanned the fabric they were thinking of using to cut up & play before getting into the fabric. So last night I scanned 4 pieces on to my computer so I could print & play with. Hopefully tonight I will be able to play with the paper & see what I like.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DoxieMom
    I'm a fairly new quilter starting to build a stash. Lately, I've gotten into the habit of scanning fabrics as I bring them home. I save a jpeg file of each one in a "Fabric" folder I made in "My Documents". It's easy to do and very convenient to be able to browse the files without having to physically go through my stash. I can print full-scale paper copies of fabrics to cut and play around with when I'm in the designing stages and I don't have to cut into the fabrics I love until I'm more sure how I want to proceed.
    To Late for me to do that! i would be at it for months and months! but an excellent idea for just beginning!
    i have carried scrap pieces that i am looking for companion fabrics to go with it, in an old plastic baseball card holder, it folds up and tucks in my purse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast