My Latest Addition

Old 12-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Default My Latest Addition

My sister was visiting from Wisconsin before Christmas and she loves, loves, loves, to shop at thrift stores. So off we went and here is what I found. It is a Brother Model 271 in a cabinet with a complete set of cams, a manual and a box of accessories. The machine was stuck pretty bad and when we finally got it running it would not respond to the foot pedal, it just kept right on running. The price was $22 but when the manager saw the problems with it he said I could have it for $15 if I wanted it. The machine itself was in really pretty nice shape with no rust, just needed a little cleaning and of course a good dose of oil. Knowing my OSMG could fix the problem if my DH and I could not, I purchased it. I was intrigued by the way the cams are inserted in this machine. I have only seem them inserted in the top and these are inserted from the side. The machine also has an interesting spool pin holder that will swing in many directions. I really like the color of this machine. Now the interesting part was I did not want the cabinet but purchased the machine in it anyway. Before I left to go pick it up I had checked CL and answered an ad from a lady looking for a sewing machine cabinet. When we got back home she had sent me an email that she would like to look at the cabinet. So she came out looked at the cabinet and purchased it for $15. Quite an interesting day as we just traded $$$$$.
Attached Thumbnails front-cams-accessories.jpg   back-machine-before-cleaning.jpg   cam-insertion-point.jpg   cam-inserted.jpg   model-271.jpg  

front-after-cleaning.jpg   back-after-cleaning.jpg  
Old 12-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Banned

Me being the Brother freak that I am, you done good! I have more than one of these machines. Having the manual is necessary for using the cams, without it you'd never find where they go. Very James Bond secret-ish, yes? The 280 or 281 does the same thing with cams. Several models in this line are very similar, some take cams, some don't, other than that they look the same. 270, 271, 280, 281, and a few others. Early to mid 60's is when it was built. These machines are almost bomb proof, they will sew just about anything you can stuff under the foot and do it well. As for it running constant, it probably had the cords plugged into the cord block backwards.

The motor and light places are marked on the cord block. The space the light plugs into has constant power so if you plug the motor into it, the motor gets constant power and just runs. No repair needed, just switch the plugs.

Cari
Old 12-29-2014, 02:11 PM

With those cord blocks, where you plug the machine in one outlet and the light in the other, if you get the plugs switched, the machine will just run on its own.

Great looking machine, and I too have never seen one where cams go in down on the front.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:11 PM

It is a very nice looking machine and for $0, pretty good deal!
Old 12-29-2014, 07:13 PM

That is very cool!!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:26 AM

Love it...Congratulations! Brothers are also my favorite machines, except for my Singer 15-88 Treadle. I guess that's why I have 3 Brother machines right now. Wish there were some great machines like that around here for sale.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
Love it...Congratulations! Brothers are also my favorite machines, except for my Singer 15-88 Treadle. I guess that's why I have 3 Brother machines right now. Wish there were some great machines like that around here for sale.
Debbie what brothers are you interested in? I am always thrift shopping and garage sailing and we don't live that far apart. I always look at any SM but pass them up unless its a Kenmore usually.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:59 AM

NICE! I like that machine, it's a looker. That's really cool where the cams go, never would have guessed that!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

We have yet to have anything as nice as this in any of the thrift or pawn shops. Lucky if you find anything that nice at an estate sale or antique/vintage shop. Can't beat $0.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Pretty machine! Fun that you sold the cabinet too.