My latest purchase story

Old 11-20-2013, 04:02 PM

Smile My latest purchase story

My favorite auntie also the matriarch of the family at 85 years old ended up in the hospital a month ago fighting for her life. The whole family rallied round and have been hovering and driving up to see her my husband and I included. I had taken her out for breakfast just a week earlier so it was a shock to get the call. She is now getting her strength back in a convalescent care facility. Hubby and I decided to visit her again and combine it with other things that we like to do because it is a trip to the "big City" for us. We can get things in Redding we can't get in Red Bluff. We stopped to get her a caramel frappe ( at her request ) and had a wonderful visit.

On the way home we stopped in Olde West Gun and Pawn, I found exactly what I was looking for there so I was feeling excited and happy and we headed for home, but about two blocks down the street was a small thrift store/junk store with a table out front that had sewing machines on it and under it. It had a sign that read:

SALE All sewing machines $5.00

Well, don't you know I couldn't pass that up! Hubby was laughing saying I thought you might have seen that sign!! I parked the truck and I saw a case that intrigued me so I lifted up one side to peek in and that was no easy feat as I was on my hands and knees halfway under the table to do this as it was way too heavy to pull out from under the table just for a look and I couldn't lift the top off because it was under the table. I saw green, a pretty green color and a nice looking green motor. Okay for 5 bucks I at least wanted the motor. So we paid and worked it out from under the table and between the two of us got it into the back of the truck. Jeepers it was heavy.

When I got home and pulled the top off I saw that is was a Riccar. Cool. I took it into the studio to remove the motor and I got to looking at the machine and it was clean, like new almost so I checked out the electrical, it was good, in fact everything was good except it was missing the bobbin plates. I borrowed those parts from one of my Morses and tried her out. Purrs like a kitten and sews nice too. I am going to start making an apron with her tonight. I can't believe we got a super great machine for $5.00. The case needs a complete overhaul though. Sometimes the best finds come from tiny little junky places don't they?!

Her name is Esmeralda Model # 302 She looks grey in these photo but she is a real pretty green.
J-C6
J-A3
RZ230390
Attached Thumbnails img_5117.jpg   img_5115.jpg  

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 11-20-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Very cool - I wouldn't have passed it up either. Riccar made some of the coolest machines. We need to start a Riccar photo thread.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:18 PM

I'am in but I only have this one... so far
Old 11-20-2013, 04:28 PM

So happy for you, what a find. I am not familiar with the "Riccar". Do you know who made them and in what year was your machine made? Happy sewing!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:00 PM

SunflowerZZ,

That is a nice looking machine and at $5.00 a steal.

If you can't find an original at a LSMG place, Sew-Classic will have the plates you need for it.

Joe
Old 11-20-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by luce321 View Post
So happy for you, what a find. I am not familiar with the "Riccar". Do you know who made them and in what year was your machine made? Happy sewing!
I don't know she is my first Riccar and I still need to research that name.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
SunflowerZZ,

That is a nice looking machine and at $5.00 a steal.

If you can't find an original at a LSMG place, Sew-Classic will have the plates you need for it.

Joe
Thank you I was wondering where I was going to find those at. We don't have any LSMG's here. I will visit sew classic tonight.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:34 PM

Very nice - and what a deal!!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM

Thank you Lew, the best part was I wasn't looking! I decided I have saved/purchased enough sewing machines and decided to only go on thrift store runs once in awhile for parts, motors, cases etc. Then Esmeralda comes along. I think it is Karma for taking my Auntie that Frappe. LOL
Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 PM

Such a pretty machine! I love it! Congrats on the 5 buck find!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Banned

here's one "Supre-Macy" Riccar (look familiar?)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]447927[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2012-10-17-19.52.58.jpg