Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My new/old baby...is it a boy or a girl or what? >

My new/old baby...is it a boy or a girl or what?

My new/old baby...is it a boy or a girl or what?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Default My new/old baby...is it a boy or a girl or what?

My dream of getting an old Singer treadle something like I learned to sew on came true this week. I think this one is a little bit older but not much as I learned on what I believe was one my grandmother gave my mother. I got a part of a booklet that was very deteriorated and can see something about a V2. The number on it is 8696359 which seems to indicate a date of about 1898. With all the pretty flowers, it must be a she so I will call her Millie after my mother or Lillie after her mother or maybe Lillie-Millie after them both. Now I need to know what model it is. Can anyone help? Is it a V2 or a 27 or 127...I just can't tell 'cause I know next to nothing about vintage machines. I know that it will take some work and it needs a couple parts...a shuttle and belt for starters. Does it need a special needle? We are going to review the tutorials by Muv (thank you, Muv!) and will follow the instructions. Part of the framework that holds the right lower drawer was broken by the man from whom we bought it but DH is more than a little handy so I think he will do fine with fixing it. There is some rust, paint chips, and of course the grime on the wood that has to be taken care of. Hmm, I guess that is up to me with some encouragement from DH.

I will add a couple photos if I can figure out how to do it so you will be able to help me figure out the answers to my questions. TIA and I must say that I have enjoyed being a lurker on this part of QB.

Donna

Well 10 minutes later and not able to add photos in spite of following sizing and posting directions so all I can say is I will try the photos another time (tomorrow when it isn't 2AM...ooops that would be later today.) She has orange and yellow flowered decals and a fiddle base and a coffin top. And even at this hour of the day, I am still excited and can barely contain my urge to jump right in but I don't want to mess her up!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 AM

Hi Donna!! You do have a VS2 or "Vibrating Shuttle" 2! I'm excited for you! One of the machines on my wishlist!

It should take a regular 15x1 needle. The VS2 was a precursor to the Singer 27...

Congrats!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
My dream of getting an old Singer treadle something like I learned to sew on came true this week. I think this one is a little bit older but not much as I learned on what I believe was one my grandmother gave my mother. I got a part of a booklet that was very deteriorated and can see something about a V2. The number on it is 8696359 which seems to indicate a date of about 1898. With all the pretty flowers, it must be a she so I will call her Millie after my mother or Lillie after her mother or maybe Lillie-Millie after them both. Now I need to know what model it is. Can anyone help? Is it a V2 or a 27 or 127...I just can't tell 'cause I know next to nothing about vintage machines. I know that it will take some work and it needs a couple parts...a shuttle and belt for starters. Does it need a special needle? We are going to review the tutorials by Muv (thank you, Muv!) and will follow the instructions. Part of the framework that holds the right lower drawer was broken by the man from whom we bought it but DH is more than a little handy so I think he will do fine with fixing it. There is some rust, paint chips, and of course the grime on the wood that has to be taken care of. Hmm, I guess that is up to me with some encouragement from DH.

I will add a couple photos if I can figure out how to do it so you will be able to help me figure out the answers to my questions. TIA and I must say that I have enjoyed being a lurker on this part of QB.

Donna

Well 10 minutes later and not able to add photos in spite of following sizing and posting directions so all I can say is I will try the photos another time (tomorrow when it isn't 2AM...ooops that would be later today.) She has orange and yellow flowered decals and a fiddle base and a coffin top. And even at this hour of the day, I am still excited and can barely contain my urge to jump right in but I don't want to mess her up!
Congrats on your find. It sounds beautiful. That Charlee is so smart. I trust Her and a few more on here. Like Joe and Bill, Charlee and lots more. You will always find answers on here. Can't wait to see pic's of Her.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:41 AM

I am excited for you! Enjoy the journey of bringing her back to sewing again!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:42 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Hi Donna!! You do have a VS2 or "Vibrating Shuttle" 2! I'm excited for you! One of the machines on my wishlist!

It should take a regular 15x1 needle. The VS2 was a precursor to the Singer 27...

Congrats!
Thanks, Charlee. There is another VS for sale near me but I didn't even take time to look at it. As you can telll, I was, and still am beyond excited. Can you believe that I paid only $50 for it? Maybe too much but he was asking $100.

Well, I have managed to add a couple photos but can't get others to load. Since I have work to do, I will try others later.

Happy Independence Day to all and thanks to all who have struggled and fought for what we have and for those who continue to do so. YOU are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails beautiful-flowers-web.jpg  
Old 07-04-2012, 07:49 AM

Unhappy

Guess only one of the 3 that I tried loaded. Maybe I should put the photos on my other (faster) computer and try. That will be later.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:13 AM

Wow! She is beautiful, love the flower decals, very nice!!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:30 AM

Beautiful! For $50...you did VERY well! (I'd have paid the $100!)
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 AM

I guess that my original resizing of the photos wasn't done correctly but now...maybe. Let's see. There is a lot of work to do ( wood repair missing veneer, dirt and grime, rust, locked up stop stitching to wind bobbin, drawer repair, re-chrome???? hand wheel, plates on bed just to name a few things) and things to buy (belt, shuttle, bobbins) hmm, where do I buy that stuff? Maybe I bit off a lot to chew but it will keep me busy having fun, knowing that the end product will be my dream.
Attached Thumbnails little-rust-here-web.jpg   attachments-web.jpg   broken-drawer-frame-web.jpg   left-top-box-damage-web.jpg   lots-work-ahead-web.jpg  

lovely-detail-box-pulls-but-no-key-web.jpg   oops-look-what-missing-web.jpg   right-top-box-damage-web.jpg   rust-again-web.jpg   veneer-missing-web.jpg  

Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 AM

wow! and double-wow! once you clean her up, she's gonna be a Beauty!!