Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Little Boy/Baby Boy Quilt Fabric Prints

Little Boy/Baby Boy Quilt Fabric Prints

I want to make a baby boy quilt (just in case this new Baby is a boy ) I have my pattern all picked out, MSQC Little Engines from their Baby Block issue. Most of my stash has flower prints. I have never actually made a boy quilt, so my question is how much flowers and swirls do you include in boy quilts you have made before? I'm afraid that just solids and checked shirtings and gingham might be "boring". I'm not "into" the modern greys and stuff for babies either, so I want it to be bright.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I don’t use florals but use swirls and geometrics and blenders and usually at least 1 novelty print. I don’t like what is popular in nurseries now. My daughter’s friends are starting to figure out they get more from me if I pick the theme. Lol

For me, I may add swirls, if only swirls (no flowers). I do not add flowers in a boy quilt. Too many other fun things to include!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I steer clear of flowers too, but will use pretty much anything else. Since most of my stash is older fabric I rely on colors to say "boy" rather than print patterns on the fabrics.

I don't put flowery fabrics in boy quilts. Maybe you could find some fabrics with trucks, fire engines, or anything boys seem to like. I made a quilt for our nephew's new son with balloon fabrics and that turned out cute.

I usually go with a boyish novelty print and fill in with blenders. I've done trucks; cars; boats; fire trucks; any number of 'boyish' novelty prints and then work in my blenders/solids.

I usually do as NJ Quilter. Just did two "4 patch" for some twins.. Same pattern just different colors.

I usually do like most others. A boy print, teddy bears, other animals, trucks etc. and find solids or blenders in boy colors. I don't like all the new modern colors for my quilts.
    We have grown Grandkids, we have 3 Great Granddaughters and 1 GGS. We are waiting on 2 more GGS. So I may be making a couple boy quilts. The two GD don't really like quilts so I have to wait and see if they want baby quilts.
    If not I will donate them as I donate most quilts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Your post reminds me of a quilt I made and is still in my closet. My daughter was expecting a baby boy and of course I wanted to make a quilt. I was into machine embroidery at the time and found this adorable embroidery CD of teddy bears. Some of you embroiders may remember the set, I think-Timeless Teddies was the name. I spent considerable time stitching the squares out then working them into the quilt. When finished it was maybe a little "sweet" for the 10 + baby he turned out to be. I made him something else.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with having some small floral prints in a baby/toddler boy. They're really too young enough to pay attention to things like floral prints in something like a quilt.

I agree with pocoellie. In today's generation the old rules of what is "boy" and what is "girl" is changing. I wouldn't hesitate to use small floral fabric in a boys quilt depending upon the pattern selected. Boys pick flowers. Boys grow flowers. Trucks, animals, etc. can be mixed with flowers nicely.

Baby quilts are really the only quilts I make with modern colors and fabrics, typically. If I know the mother's selected nursery theme & colors, I'll make something to match. I applique on most of my baby quilts so the background fabrics selected won't be busy fabrics, normally. I don't recall using floral's for boys in mine but I don't see anything wrong with that. Go for it and hope you are feeling good and enjoying your pregnancy. Hugs!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I hope I live long enough where gender specific colours are no longer a thing.

I've used flowers before in boy quilts without even worrying/thinking about it. I remember particularly a blue/gold/white trip around the world design. It had bold graphic presence and the blue and gold were school colors as I recall. Parents never flinched or said anything but thank you.

In my normal scrappy style if I'm just looking for a particular shade of blue, I'm worried more about the shade than the design.

After some 5+ years together, my son and his wife are expecting. I have quilts already! I made them years ago and they are non-specific designs and patterns, a happy pinwheel of orange, yellow and green monkey fabrics and an under-the-sea with a fast crazy patch background (which is mostly water based designs) and 5"-ish appliqued orange fish. They have chosen to find out the sex of the grandbaby which will make shopping easier, soooo much stuff is "gender specific".

We all have our views and likes/dislikes. I've been surprised to find how many people freak out over bug or snake fabrics. My son's dad was given a lovely set of sheets from his mom, he hated them and said there were bugs on it, well no... it was a bamboo-y design with some small discrete butterflies/moths.

Thanks for the input and ideas, everyone! I was going through my stash last night and actually surprised myself at how much bright, cheerful non-flowery fabrics I have. I can't wait to start it! It's going to be so fun! I'm finishing up a baby girl quilt top now. I love baby quilts!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

What is it about no flowers for baby boys? My husband, father-in-law, uncles, etc grew gorgeous flowers!! Males love flowers but yeah, I probably wouldn't use them in a baby boy quilt, either!
    When my boys were little I didn't quilt but appliqued sailboats, suns, trucks, etc on their little clothes.
    NZ I'm excited for your new little bundle coming!!!

Personally I wouldn't worry about the baby being opposed to the flowered fabric it would be the parents. I saw some really cute baby socks recently, there were 5 pairs in the box. I bought them to give as a gift for a new baby boy and although the socks definitely looked like they were for a boy but found out that the bottom of the box said girl and my friend said no about giving it to them. So I returned them!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

I truely don't worry too much about florals. The child is a baby. But to help with your decision, and I see you have gotten lots of ideas, I will add that I often use 1930's reproduction prints. They frequently have children or animals in the prints. To take you another direction, I just sent off a quilt for a boy baby that was gray and yellow. Yup gray for a baby, I never thought I would do it but the fabric stole my heart. "Bunnies By the Bay" is the name of the line and it is charming, baby like. I made one quilt for a boy as mentioned and a second one for a baby girls, same fabric but different pattern.Name:  20190316_162356 resized.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  120.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
    Personally I wouldn't worry about the baby being opposed to the flowered fabric it would be the parents. I saw some really cute baby socks recently, there were 5 pairs in the box. I bought them to give as a gift for a new baby boy and although the socks definitely looked like they were for a boy but found out that the bottom of the box said girl and my friend said no about giving it to them. So I returned them!
    I do buy boy toddler socks for my girls. They actually are made better than the thin frilly girl socks. I buy the frilly ones for church, but for everyday use, boy socks work better!

I have used Hungry Caterpillar fabric for one grandson. Noah's Jungle pattern for the other grandson (hippo, monkey, zebra, lion,) and fishie fabric for the third grandson. The oldest child had a baby quilt with a duckie...now at 8 years old, he will be getting a Jacob's ladder (his name is Jacob).