Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Little Boy/Baby Boy Quilt Fabric Prints >

Little Boy/Baby Boy Quilt Fabric Prints

Little Boy/Baby Boy Quilt Fabric Prints

Old 03-28-2019, 06:23 PM

I agree with pocoellie. In today's generation the old rules of what is "boy" and what is "girl" is changing. I wouldn't hesitate to use small floral fabric in a boys quilt depending upon the pattern selected. Boys pick flowers. Boys grow flowers. Trucks, animals, etc. can be mixed with flowers nicely.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:30 PM

Baby quilts are really the only quilts I make with modern colors and fabrics, typically. If I know the mother's selected nursery theme & colors, I'll make something to match. I applique on most of my baby quilts so the background fabrics selected won't be busy fabrics, normally. I don't recall using floral's for boys in mine but I don't see anything wrong with that. Go for it and hope you are feeling good and enjoying your pregnancy. Hugs!
Old 03-29-2019, 06:42 AM

I hope I live long enough where gender specific colours are no longer a thing.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:05 AM

I've used flowers before in boy quilts without even worrying/thinking about it. I remember particularly a blue/gold/white trip around the world design. It had bold graphic presence and the blue and gold were school colors as I recall. Parents never flinched or said anything but thank you.

In my normal scrappy style if I'm just looking for a particular shade of blue, I'm worried more about the shade than the design.

After some 5+ years together, my son and his wife are expecting. I have quilts already! I made them years ago and they are non-specific designs and patterns, a happy pinwheel of orange, yellow and green monkey fabrics and an under-the-sea with a fast crazy patch background (which is mostly water based designs) and 5"-ish appliqued orange fish. They have chosen to find out the sex of the grandbaby which will make shopping easier, soooo much stuff is "gender specific".

We all have our views and likes/dislikes. I've been surprised to find how many people freak out over bug or snake fabrics. My son's dad was given a lovely set of sheets from his mom, he hated them and said there were bugs on it, well no... it was a bamboo-y design with some small discrete butterflies/moths.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the input and ideas, everyone! I was going through my stash last night and actually surprised myself at how much bright, cheerful non-flowery fabrics I have. I can't wait to start it! It's going to be so fun! I'm finishing up a baby girl quilt top now. I love baby quilts!
Old 03-29-2019, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

What is it about no flowers for baby boys? My husband, father-in-law, uncles, etc grew gorgeous flowers!! Males love flowers but yeah, I probably wouldn't use them in a baby boy quilt, either!
When my boys were little I didn't quilt but appliqued sailboats, suns, trucks, etc on their little clothes.
NZ I'm excited for your new little bundle coming!!!
Old 03-29-2019, 10:06 PM

Personally I wouldn't worry about the baby being opposed to the flowered fabric it would be the parents. I saw some really cute baby socks recently, there were 5 pairs in the box. I bought them to give as a gift for a new baby boy and although the socks definitely looked like they were for a boy but found out that the bottom of the box said girl and my friend said no about giving it to them. So I returned them!
Old 03-30-2019, 03:37 AM

I truely don't worry too much about florals. The child is a baby. But to help with your decision, and I see you have gotten lots of ideas, I will add that I often use 1930's reproduction prints. They frequently have children or animals in the prints. To take you another direction, I just sent off a quilt for a boy baby that was gray and yellow. Yup gray for a baby, I never thought I would do it but the fabric stole my heart. "Bunnies By the Bay" is the name of the line and it is charming, baby like. I made one quilt for a boy as mentioned and a second one for a baby girls, same fabric but different pattern.[ATTACH=CONFIG]610931[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20190316_162356-resized.jpg  
Old 03-30-2019, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Personally I wouldn't worry about the baby being opposed to the flowered fabric it would be the parents. I saw some really cute baby socks recently, there were 5 pairs in the box. I bought them to give as a gift for a new baby boy and although the socks definitely looked like they were for a boy but found out that the bottom of the box said girl and my friend said no about giving it to them. So I returned them!
I do buy boy toddler socks for my girls. They actually are made better than the thin frilly girl socks. I buy the frilly ones for church, but for everyday use, boy socks work better!
Old 03-30-2019, 11:42 AM

I have used Hungry Caterpillar fabric for one grandson. Noah's Jungle pattern for the other grandson (hippo, monkey, zebra, lion,) and fishie fabric for the third grandson. The oldest child had a baby quilt with a duckie...now at 8 years old, he will be getting a Jacob's ladder (his name is Jacob).