Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My "new" Singer 201

Lucky you! It looks to be in good shape. Be sure to double check the wiring like littlesurfer said. It is weak area on these machines. Can't be too careful. Happy sewing!

Pat

Blog Entries
    I'm so happy for you! I'm glad you've got someone you can trust to look it over for you. Have fun with her. Can you tell us how you got her?
    Please post your pet's - past and present -pictures at http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ds-t32280.html

Smile

I have my mother's 201 in the 4 drawer art deco cabinet. Mom taught sewing at the Singer shop and purchused the machine in 1940 - This machine still sews like a dream love the wide area to the right of the needle.

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Here I am Lord I am here to do your will.

Quote Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
    I have my mother's 201 in the 4 drawer art deco cabinet. Mom taught sewing at the Singer shop and purchused the machine in 1940 - This machine still sews like a dream love the wide area to the right of the needle.

Judy in Phx, AZ
    I love the art deco cabinet!

Waiting is the hard part, is't it? I
    don't have a 201 but I want one. SM envy here.

I love my 1936 201k! It started life as a natural born hand cranked machine. I treadle it, such a smooth and quiet machine; a joy to sew with. One of my favorite treadles; was my first treadle machine. It has the hand crank is on it in this picture because 2 little girls were sewing quilt blocks with it; they like the hand crank better(more control).
    Sharon W.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by purplefiend; 01-12-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
    I'm so happy for you! I'm glad you've got someone you can trust to look it over for you. Have fun with her. Can you tell us how you got her?

I got her off ebay. I bid on her on a whim and won. I didn't really think I would win. My Dad has looked her over and done some oiling and she runs really well. He is going to make something to sit her in so I can start using her. I can't wait!!

Kathie

Congratulations: I hope you enjoy your purchase. I bought a 1950 201 a few months ago and am just making friends with it. I'm not very experienced with vintage machines, but bought a FW last year and loved it so much that I decided I wanted a bigger machine too. The range of models available in the UK is smaller than in the States, so I've ended up with the 201. I wanted a machine that I could use for free motion quilting. Some people say the 201 isn't good for this, but yesterday I really got going and produced some pretty good results, which is more than I ever managed on my modern machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnana2000 View Post
    I got her off ebay. I bid on her on a whim and won. I didn't really think I would win. My Dad has looked her over and done some oiling and she runs really well. He is going to make something to sit her in so I can start using her. I can't wait!!
    I have my 201 sitting on my table, and it runs just fine. There is plenty of clearance underneath. Which means, you are free to go ahead and start using her now!
    jlm5419-an Okie in California
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2