Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My new toy - 1911 Singer treadle >

My new toy - 1911 Singer treadle

My new toy - 1911 Singer treadle

Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I just bought a 1911 Singer 66K treadle with the lotus decals, made in Scotland. I found it on craigslist, and paid $50. It will need lots of work on the cabinet and head, but the treadle assembly is in great shape. I have taken the cabinet apart and started to repair the veneer. I think the head will need to be taken apart too - that will be a real learning opportunity!

If anyone has experience in refurbishing these old machines, I would love to hear about it. I'll post updates as the restoration progresses.
Lucky you! :)
Old 07-05-2009, 04:39 PM

That is a beautiful machine. Have you visited http://treadleon.net ? There are many good tips and instructions for working over treadles. I love to hear the sound of the treadle. Reminds me of Grandma early in the morning.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 PM

I just refurbished one. You can get new bets off Ebay for under 10.00 I'll try and find the web site that gives a tutorial for restoration. They restore the machines and send them to Africa.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

I just bought a 1911 Singer 66K treadle with the lotus decals, made in Scotland.
I think you have the rare "Brown" version of the lotus decals judging from what I can see in the one photo. If it is then you need to be super careful when you clean the exterior of the machine.

I will PM you some information about restoration of the machine, and before you get to far along on the cabinet I can give you a formula for a cleaner for the wood that actually repairs the varnish and makes the scratches/blemishes disappear.

Go here: http://needlebar.org/main/index.html and join the site.

They are the leading website for historical information of the vintage machines. The leading expert on the Singer Sewing Machine Co. is a member (Chrys Gunther), she can help you find out more about the rarity of the decal that you have.

Billy
Old 03-13-2010, 10:50 PM

When I try to register it tells me that registration is not possible at this time. Any tips to register?
Old 03-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I just bought a 1911 Singer 66K treadle with the lotus decals, made in Scotland.
I think you have the rare "Brown" version of the lotus decals judging from what I can see in the one photo. If it is then you need to be super careful when you clean the exterior of the machine.

I will PM you some information about restoration of the machine, and before you get to far along on the cabinet I can give you a formula for a cleaner for the wood that actually repairs the varnish and makes the scratches/blemishes disappear.

Go here: http://needlebar.org/main/index.html and join the site.

They are the leading website for historical information of the vintage machines. The leading expert on the Singer Sewing Machine Co. is a member (Chrys Gunther), she can help you find out more about the rarity of the decal that you have.

Billy
Billy, I would love to receive any information you can send me. I will pm you my email address so you can send as an attachment. I did join needlebar, and there is some useful information on that site, but I find it a little hard to navigate. This machine still sits in my garage, untouched in many months, and what's worse I now have a second treadle sitting beside it. Now that spring is coming, it's warming up and I hope to get to work on both of them.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
I just refurbished one. You can get new bets off Ebay for under 10.00 I'll try and find the web site that gives a tutorial for restoration. They restore the machines and send them to Africa.
Carolj, thank you for the offer. I found this site also and think it will come in very handy.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:42 AM

Dunster, I'm glad you found it. We use Liquid Wrench on the gears and let it soak overnight, to get rid of the hardened oil. Also take a look at the needle shaft, these tend to stay stuck from all the old oilings. Singer provides free manuels for their treadels on their wed site.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:43 AM

What a neat project, I can't wait to see the completed works. I am going to clean mine up probably tomorrow. I need to make room for it in the hall and move the other treadle into the spare bedroom.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
What a neat project, I can't wait to see the completed works. I am going to clean mine up probably tomorrow. I need to make room for it in the hall and move the other treadle into the spare bedroom.
ahhh, space! That is one of the reasons I haven't finished my two treadles. The space where they would have gone is now taken up by the longarm. I'm sure I can find another place for them, but the house seems much smaller with that longarm in it.