Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Pink Disappointment (A Lesson Learned, cont.) >

My Pink Disappointment (A Lesson Learned, cont.)

My Pink Disappointment (A Lesson Learned, cont.)

Old 04-20-2015, 06:38 PM

Default My Pink Disappointment (A Lesson Learned, cont.)

This is what kind of packaging you get when you spend $62 for shipping and handling from the Goodwill Online in South Dakota:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517557[/ATTACH]

Of course, the SM cost $9.51, which may have been a little too much:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517560[/ATTACH]Front

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517561[/ATTACH]Back (note motor hanging nearly off)

Motor will have to be removed anyway:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517562[/ATTACH]Note bare wires...sigh!

It smells pretty bad, too!

I will definitely have to think of this as a challenge, as I have not rewired any motors as yet. The spool pin is broken off as well. On the bright side, the handwheel turns and this baby has feed dogs that can be dropped - they work!! The model is Western Deluxe 303 (oh, wait, it's SUPER Deluxe!) and the tension is on the faceplate. Does this make it a 15 clone? If so, my first.

Anybody wanna come help me???!!
Attached Thumbnails pink-machine-shipping.jpg   pink-machine-front.jpg   pink-machine-back.jpg   pink-machine-under.jpg  
Old 04-20-2015, 06:55 PM

The shipping was ungodly, (but try getting one to Alaska ) and you may think you are disappointed.....but....I think it is something you wanted bad enough to bid on...and I do not see anything wrong with her. Lots of support here, you can do this. Clean her up and tune her up and be amazed at how well she responds. Besides what fun would be saving her if she was not a little forlorn to begin with. Have fun....I think you will be suprised at how well it will turn out.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:05 PM

Seems real hit and miss with the Goodwills - all depends on the competency of the particalar store.

Personally, I wold not trust the employees at any of the goodwills we have in SD to do anything right. The two I go to the most have told me they don't' even accept sewing machines because no one wants them. Can I ask what city it came from? I don't think we've got more than half a dozen Goodwill stores in the whole State.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:08 AM

Goodwill does take returns.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:49 AM

Hang in there and don't give up!

When you get this thing up and running you'll feel better.

I got one dialed in the other day and it feels good to know I won't panic if one of my machines dies because I can fix up a used one cheap.

There are so many experts on this forum and so many how to videos about fixing these things up.

It may seem daunting at first but I believe you can get there.

It's a very pretty machine.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:02 AM

Cathy - the machine came from GO in Sioux Falls. I just wrote them a blistering review, as I saw from their pictures that the spool pin was NOT broken off - how do you do that from outside of the case? Also the machine appeared to be sitting firmly in the case and the motor was at least pushed up against the machine rather than half off.

Their close-up did in fact show how dirty the machine is, although they didn't mention the bare wiring. Sure hope they didn't plug it in that way!

Well, at least it's pink! And I'm sure it will be a good machine when cleaned up. I will send pictures!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:09 AM

Good Luck!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:39 AM

If a replacement spool pin isn't easily found, try a piece of wooden dowel. For my project machine, 3/16" worked perfectly. Grind or sand it down a tad where it is to be inserted.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

That is so sad that they packed the machine with NO sufficient padding. Shame on them. They should know better. I am sure with the support of this board, you can get your little injured baby back to looking like the day she was born !!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:15 AM

If they're going to charge that much for shipping, they ought to do it right!!

I bought my Pfaff 332-260 from eBay and the seller wrapped the machine in carpet scraps! Sounds a little crazy but it actually worked really well; they wrapped up the machine in the foam underlayment and then stuffed rolled-up bits of carpet all around the machine in the inner box and then more rolls of carpet between the inner and outer box. Worked great, and I even reused a bunch of the carpet scraps by making scratchers for my cats. LOL

So if you have a bunch of carpet scraps around...those make for good sewing machine padding. LOL