Necchi BU need repairman

Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 AM
rck

Default Necchi BU need repairman

I live in the Charlotte area and I need someone to service my Necchi BU. Anyone know of a place, or person?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Banned

ummm, we are more about showing you how to do it yourself. they are not that hard at all to do and a hometuned machine is more likely correct than a storetuned machine
Old 11-26-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by rck View Post
I live in the Charlotte area and I need someone to service my Necchi BU. Anyone know of a place, or person?
I was hoping more knowledgeable posters would have an idea for you. My idea is if you have an iota of mechanical knowledge, give it a go yourself. People here are anxious to help on specific questions. Electric can be a little intimidating, but mechanical is straight forward and not dangerous. Ask a specific question, try the response, if it works, you're ahead of the game. If it doesn't work continue to ask. Don't take anything apart in the bobbin case area, needle nose area, or undercarriage until more competent. One of My first units was a BU. It was froze in some areas. Got all unfrozen but feed dog drop. Placed a screw driver in between the frozen parts and snapped a teat off. Lesson learned. Oil and heat safely does what I tried with a screw driver.

I've been collecting and repairing for maybe a year. This message board and other Yahoo groups have helped me to the point of fearlessness. I've rewired motors, replaced needle bars and unfroze a 15-125 with only oil and a hair dryer.

Again, if game, ask this group a specific question and give doing your own repairs a try. You'll get hooked, I guarantee.

Try this thread - http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html

Last edited by Vridar; 11-26-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Point to a link.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:56 AM

I see while I was typing my long winded reply one of the knowledgeable go-to guys answered the same but much more succinctly.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:58 AM

I use the guy in Stonecrest, near the Target. He is great, Lee's creative sewing and Vacuum. It is at 7868 Rea road 704-542-8760. I have bought 2 machines from him and as a side note, his dad was a Singer repairman for years so it runs in the family.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 PM

I noticed in your reply to Rck that you once had a Necchi BU and that the only thing you could not unfreeze was the feed dog drop. I have the same problem with my Necchi. I purchased it at a thrift store and works fine except for the feed dog drop. It sits on the right side of the machine and is a silver knob with a screw in the side of the knob. Do you have any idea how I might go about solving this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Lucy
Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by luce321 View Post
I noticed in your reply to Rck that you once had a Necchi BU and that the only thing you could not unfreeze was the feed dog drop. I have the same problem with my Necchi. I purchased it at a thrift store and works fine except for the feed dog drop. It sits on the right side of the machine and is a silver knob with a screw in the side of the knob. Do you have any idea how I might go about solving this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Lucy
I do. As learned from this site. Add a drop of Tru-Flo to it every time you look at it. Continue this until you think you've soaked more than you needed to. Then heat it with a hair dryer. Get it good and hot. Try again to see if they will separate. If not, continue the above. Guaranteed to work. May take some time, but it will work. Don't do the screw driver trick like me as that particular piece is only pot metal. I have a bid on another BU for parts. If I don't get it, I'm going to try liquid weld on the piece or take it to my trusty metal worker.

As an after thought, does anyone recommend a compound to repair broken pot metal?

Last edited by Vridar; 11-26-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: To correct iPad's spelling correction.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
...As an after thought, does anyone recommend a compound to repair broken pot metal?
not much. JBWeld is a good option but takes some practice to get right. Cathy(Mizkaki) has a shattered pot metal part that she dropped of to me. I will be making a replacement out of hard pewter.