Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need advice on machine to handle thick fabric and binding. >

Need advice on machine to handle thick fabric and binding.

Need advice on machine to handle thick fabric and binding.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
..............I have a 241-12 and a 29-4 and along with a 201-2 they cover the range pretty well for anythign I have ever needed to do.
Yeah right, Steve. Until you wanted to sew pig hams, and then you just had to go and get that pocket-pen-sized suture stitcher! hee hee

Thanks merwin also for the great advice. I look forward to sharing all this great info with my friend!

-C.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Hi Cecilia - chiming in to agree in one sense with what's already been suggested, but I work with industrials in mainstream fashion production as well as owning a few vintage machine. There is a huge difference in the power of the machines, just due to the motor. An industrial straight sewer need not be an expensive investment (forgive me if this is what a Sailrite is, I haven't heard of those) but I think an old Singer industrial would be perfect for your friend if you can find one in good condition.

The small piece of extra info I wanted to add is that through chats with my LSMG, he tells me he actually sets the machine up to handle whatever his customers are sewing, eg. leather or canvas. I know it sometimes involves re-setting the needle bar and adding roller foot or whatever would be required for optimal feeding. If they are sewing the same thing over and over, like your friend, it could be worth getting not only a sturdy machine, but one that is set up for the job. Mike has a great Singer industrial that would be perfect for this http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post6495730- or I agree that a Pfaff 130, maybe an older Necchi BU or Esperia, and older Phoenix, Pfaff 238 Industrial, maybe a Singer 201 or 15 (but I doubt they need the stitching to be that pretty )
Old 01-14-2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Cecilia, that's a 306K and takes 206x13 needles, available but not as common as the 15x1. The 306 machine is a good machine but not as simple as others. As a novice I'd stay away from it unless for a collection.
Yes it is, and you can now only obtain needles in sizes 12 and 14 (Schmetz discontinued the size 16 last August). Fantastic machine for basic work but no stretch or heavy needles is limiting unless you're a dressmaker.