Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on how to handle sewing machine service problem

Need some advice on how to handle sewing machine service problem

A month ago I was sewing on my Janome 6600 when I got an E1 error. I called the dealer and she didn't know what that was but would call Janome and let me know. She called me back and said it was a fuse and if I brought it in that day she would have it the next day. 4 days later I had not heard anything so I called and she said she was just getting to it. She called me the next day and said it wasn't the fuse but the motherboard and she would order one. About a week later I called to see what was going on and she said Janome sent the wrong motherboard and she would reorder. I called her last Thursday and she said it came in the day before and she would have it for me yesterday. I did not hear from her so I called today. She was not in and the lady that answered the phone said she would call her and get back with me. I still have not heard a word.

I live in a small town and don't understand why it is taking so long and now she has my machine and won't return my calls.

I emailed Janome and they sent an email that said there wasn't anything they could do.

I called another dealer and talked to them. They said it shouldn't take that long and she knows the lady and is a new dealer and is wondering if she is not capable of fixing it. They said they don't like to take a machine that someone else has taken apart which I can understand. They said give her another call and if she still doesn't have it done ask her if she doesn't think she can fix it. If that is the case they would take it. The problem is that dealer is a 2 hour drive from where we live.

What would be my next step. I don't want to upset this woman when she has my machine, but I want my machine.

It's easy to ignore the phone. It's not so easy to ignore somebody standing in front of you. Go there. Above all else be polite but very firm.

I agree with Scissor Queen. After this long, I would go to the store to see what the issue is.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

This is what I would do also, though, to be honest, it would be very hard for me. I say this because I am shy and don't like to "rock the boat." BUT, ft it was my sewing machine, I would do it. I would also have to write out what I was going to say before I went. This would give me confidence. (Not that I would read from my script or anything... )

More than likely, you are not as shy as I am, and you can do this easily! You do need to explain that you don't understand what is going on and see what she has to say.

Good luck. My thoughts will be with you.

Dina

Power Poster
    Did she give you an estimate on how much a new motherboard and repair was going to be? I don't know how much your machine cost but sometimes major repairs can cost more than it's worth. I agree and go in person to see what the problem is and how much it will cost and the timeline.

It's a brand new machine I got last August. Parts and Labor are free

It's also a LQS that I have spent alot of money at on material.

She is not the owner and only works on Thursday.

I may send my husband in. I am usually a very easy going person, because I worked in customer service for over 40 years. But I am just so upset.
    Last edited by skowron5; 05-22-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I love my Janome machine but the dealers are terrible about servicing them. I wonder why? I have heard nothing but bad about them.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I would go in person and tell her to let you know NOW if she can fix it. If she stalls, ask for it back and tell her you will take it else where who can fix it. She might get the lead out then.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

I wouldn't give her another chance. She's had plenty. The machine is yours and she has no right to hold it with no word. Go get the machine and all the parts and take it to someone else. This is why I bought a Viking.

I would march myself right in the store and demand my fixed machine. If you stir enough ruckus, she will be glad to fix and return it. I think I'd tell her that I'd just wait there until she finished with my machine. One more day until Thursday, then all bets would be off! I have a Janome 10001 and have never had a problem with my dealer.

Blog Entries
    A key word you mentioned above is "she's not the owner". Is the owner also in the shop? If so, I would go and take your husband on a Thursday when she is suppose to be working. If possible and the owner is actually working in the business, try to make sure they both are there on the Thursday you plan to go. Don't go around lunch time either so you won't be told they are a lunch. And don't call ahead either!

I would as mentioned above, write down the sequence of events leading up to this and bring any paperwork given to you by the LQS. You can refer to this as you talk to them (w/o actually reading them verbatim). Having notes/documents in hand gives you a little more power as to the issue you're discussing.

Good Luck!

I had a horrible experience with my local Janome guy. Even called corporate and they were NOT nice.

I went and got the broken machine and mailed it to Ken's in Alabama. He was the dealer I bought from. It was an easy fix and they are VERY polite. There is also a great dealer in PA....Brubakers. I will NEVER darken the door of the local guy and just bite the bullet for postage to Ken's.

I live in Alabama and Ken's is the greatest dealer, wonderful customer service.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    But by the number of moments that take our breath away!
    God bless you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
    A key word you mentioned above is "she's not the owner". Is the owner also in the shop? If so, I would go and take your husband on a Thursday when she is suppose to be working. If possible and the owner is actually working in the business, try to make sure they both are there on the Thursday you plan to go. Don't go around lunch time either so you won't be told they are a lunch. And don't call ahead either!

I would as mentioned above, write down the sequence of events leading up to this and bring any paperwork given to you by the LQS. You can refer to this as you talk to them (w/o actually reading them verbatim). Having notes/documents in hand gives you a little more power as to the issue you're discussing.

Good Luck!
    Excellent suggestions - if this does not get you the information that you need or their answers are not satisfactory, then contact Janome directly. The shop is actually acting on their behalf and I believe that they will be able to help you.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I agree with the others, go to the shop in person and try to go when the owner is in. That way you could talk to directly to the owner, she/he may not be aware of what's going on. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morelcabin View Post
    Well I worked in a sewing machine repair shop and learned that sometimes these things take time, a month is not that bad considering she had to order the part and they sent her the wrong one which means she had to reorder. It sometimes takes us weeks to get a part in. You have to keep in mind that yours is not the ONLY machine in there for repairs...she couldn't help that Janome sent the wrong part the first time. Be patient, you should get it back soon, going in there and raising feathers is not going to help you, they will only get to know you as someone they don't want to deal with and good luck the next time. It took me two months once to get an automatic threader replaced on my machine...and I worked there!
    Be kind to your repair people, they are usually doing thier best.
    I really hear what Tammy has written. i don't necessarily agree wtih going in and knocking heads together, but i do think stopping in and politely asking about the status of the machine will help. also, if they have not offerred you a loaner, perhaps you can ask if they have one available???

I agree I don't want to go in and be nasty, but we live in an area of about 50,000 people. They only sell Janome and she can't have that many machines to repair. If she had been honest with me and said she didn't know when it would be done but she keeps telling me she will have it on a certain day and then it is not done. It is such a small business that they don't have loaners.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    It's easy to ignore the phone. It's not so easy to ignore somebody standing in front of you. Go there. Above all else be polite but very firm.
    Ditto on this one. You need answers and in person is the only way to get them.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

I have a Janome and my dealer/repair serviceman is excellent. I would go in WITH my husband and ask what the problem is.......As others said, it's hard to ignore a human standing in front of them. If nothing else, if she says she's having problems, tell her you want a new one in exchange......that MIGHT make her get busy! Think of this when you go in --- you have HIRED her, she is an EMPLOYEE now......make her do her job!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Power Poster
    I usually do better if someone explains to me what is going on. I may not like what I hear, but I get even more upset it I'm ignored.

Blog Entries
    SHE ONLY WORKS ON THURSDAY? She wouldn't touch my machine another time! I would go get my machine!!!!!

I would call the dealer of the machine and talk to customer service and tell them what is going on to so they know about this repair person. And I would go in person to because people just are so lazy they take there time however that may be. Let them know you will not bring in your machine for repairs again because it took to long.
    Deb

Janome totally sticks up for the dealer....hard to get them to admit the dealer did anything wrong. My local guy mailed my machine off to Janome without my permission. He said it was a repair that is impossible for a dealer to make. I found out when I called for an update. I then called Janome and talked to customer service.

She grudgingly admitted he should not have done that. I said FINE--just mail it back to me so I can get it fixed where I want. Said she cannot do that. WHAT?????????? She mailed it back to the dealer who then mailed it to me. Waste of time and money.

The outcome was that the dealer did not get a cent out of this and had to pay to mail me my machine. I hope he learned a lesson in all this to COMMUNICATE with the customer.

I will be writing a letter about this whole experience. My good friend refused to buy a Janome in our area because of this guy. He has a terrible reputation.

I understand supporting dealers but what about the customer?

Wow. So glad all my machines are non-computerized, so I can work on them MYSELF! Yikes!

Blog Entries
    My 6600 did the same thing..they had it ready for me the next day..good to know I bought from a good dealer, the sticthery in Howell. I would be ready to blow if it were me. I agree with going right to the owner, if not happy with that, drive the two hours and get it done right! They would not be getting my business again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast