Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on how to handle sewing machine service problem

I am so sorry this is happening to you. Like you, I avoid confrontation wherever possible. In this case, I would send my husband, and he would speak to the owner of the shop. In any case, the repair shop should always keep you informed of the status of your repair - even if you call them every day, they should speak with you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that all will be well soon.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    It makes me angry that the machine head company (all of them) will not step in and resolve obvious dealer problems. Customer service seems to be customer run around. If I was thinking of buying an expensive machine I would not focus on the machine but the dealer. Remember this: No dealer I know will not take back a machine once you bought it. Do your homework: How long the shop has been in business, references from past customers, who does the repair, contact info of district rep, exactly what the warranty provides, itemized repair bill provided, and I'd make an appointment to sit down and discuss this with the owner. If they seem hesitant then walk away.

Everyone needs to be vocal when it comes to their money going into someone's pocket. Believe me the dealer isn't afraid to hand you a bill.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 05-23-2012 at 09:14 AM.
    Got fabric?

Here is the latest update. I called the LQS to see if the owner was in so I could go talk to her. They lady that answered said she was not in and are you the lady that keeps calling on your sewing machine. I said yes you told me yesterday you would let me know what was going on. She then said she talked to the serviceperson yesterday and that she was working on it and it will be done today. She said you don't need to keep calling we will call you when it is ready. I said if you had returned my call yesterday like you said you would I wouldn't have bothered you.

She then said you know the serviceperson had surgery and that is why it is taking so long. I said I am not a mean person and if I had been told that I would understand and not have bothered anyone. I talked to the serviceperson last Thursday and she didn't say anything about surgery. Of course it may have been an emergency, but wouldn't a phone call from someone been the right thing to do?

Hubby is going to pick it up if I get a call that it is ready because my days at that shop have ended. Like I said I worked in customers service for over 40 years and I know how important communication with the customer is.

It is almost 1:30 here and they close at 5. We will see what happens.

I hope you were able to pick up your machine. I agree, just let the customer know what's going on. Most of us are pretty understanding. However, if no one tells us what the problem is, it's very frustrating.
    Heather

Blog Entries
    If you had surgery and said sorry, I can't pay you but I will pick up my machine. Would the owner just take that as a good excuse? I doubt it. The owner should have stepped in and taken control of what needed to be handled. Word of mouth will make every small shop owner a better one or a shopless one.
    Got fabric?

Boy, how I hope this isn't generic to all the Janome machines! Of course, I'd wring my SMG's neck if he DARED do me like that...and the beauty of it is, he knows it! She's had your baby long enough to have made twins out of her...go get her and bring her back home! And then call Janome and cuss them out as well! There had to be a nerve there that will get Janome off their high horse...they could be in a little bit of a situation if we all got tired of their attitude, couldn't they! Maybe they have to go the way of some other machine companies before they realize what they SHOULD have been doing...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

O.K. final update and you won't have to hear me complain. I contacted the owner and surprise I got a call an hour ago from the serviceperson that my machine was done and I could pick it up at her home.

My baby is back home I am a happy camper. Now I have to learn to use it all over again.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Blog Entries
    Great news! And no blood shed, all is good. But I would sure be looking for a new place to shop!

I've taken my Janome 9000 in to be fixed twice in the last 2 years and it's next to impossible to get it back in the condition it was in before the problem. They argue with me and I have to take it back multiple times to get it right. I get so discusted with them but finding someone to work on them is impossible. This man only comesin 3 days aweek and I have been without my machine for weeks at a time. I understand your flusteration. I would pick it up and take it the 2 hours away if they know what their doing and be sewing at no time.......

Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post

I will be writing a letter about this whole experience. My good friend refused to buy a Janome in our area because of this guy. He has a terrible reputation.

I understand supporting dealers but what about the customer?
    Don't forget facebook, too. Companies don't like it when people give negative reports on facebook.

These people just don't realize how hard it is to be without your sewing machine! Good Luck!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I think there is a middle ground here. I would go in, explain nicely my issue. As I read this the issue is - my machine has been here since __date__ for what started out to be a simple repair. I've been very patient, but I bought this machine so I can use it. I understand you are only here 1 day a week and that perhaps this has turned into more than you feel comfortable tackling. __the other shop__ will take it if you feel you are in over your head on this one, if not, can you do it now and I'll come back in an hour to pick it up.

that's my thoughts - you would still be kind, not angry, offering a option, setting a deadline. Your project deserves to be pushed to the head of the list. A now statement is fair and reasonable.

I think sending your husband would be a mistake since this is also a quilt shop you apparently like. If he gets angry and causes a stink, you might hate showing your face there again. Also the fact that you can stand up for yourself in a calm and reasonable way will show them that you deserve and expect to get what is fair and you will not be walked on so don't think you will turn me into a doormat on other things as well. This event will set the tone for future transactions such as defective fabrics etc.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

I had a a similar situation at my dealer, not a Janome dealer, but a name brand. After buying 2 expensive machines over the years and many other go with its, I took the older one in for cleaning and was told 2 weeks +/-, they would call. I hadn't heard at a month, called and was told...it would soon be ready. One wk later I called and it was "just done". Upon picking it up, was told it was nearly worn out and to run it till it dies....wouldn't do any stitch but straight for them??? what? It did when it went in. Well, it is still running and doing ALL kinds of stitches 3 years later. Haven't been in that door since!!!
    Linda

I wouldn't send my husband. He probably wouldn't be a knowledgeable about the problem as you. Plus it's easier for her to "snow" someone that doesn't know the whole story and may not know as much about sewing machines. Confrontation isn't easy. I don't like to do it myself. But there comes a time when you just have to put on your big girl panties and do it.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    This is what I would do also, though, to be honest, it would be very hard for me. I say this because I am shy and don't like to "rock the boat." BUT, ft it was my sewing machine, I would do it. I would also have to write out what I was going to say before I went. This would give me confidence. (Not that I would read from my script or anything... )

More than likely, you are not as shy as I am, and you can do this easily! You do need to explain that you don't understand what is going on and see what she has to say.

Good luck. My thoughts will be with you.

Dina
    I agree that confrontation is not easy. But if it makes it easier, you can adopt a polite but inwardly righteous attitude, because the burden is now on her, not you. She's had your machine a month; she's given you several different answers about why it has taken so long; the machine is still not fixed; she hasn't returned your calls; and she still has your property. I'd go there and simply ask her if the machine is now repaired. If not, I'd ask for it back and take it to the other dealer. It's more trouble, I know, but you may feel better about their repair capabilities. You don't need an expensive doorstop instead of a sewing machine.

Things I've learned from this thread:

a) Stay away from Janome machines and the Janome corporation
    b) Be grateful for the sewing machine repair people in my own town
    c) When a supposedly knowledgeable service person does not know what Error 1 means, it may be a hint.

By the way, I recently posted about my Golden Touch 'n Sew needing repair, that I am considering buying another machine, and asked for suggestions, which I greatly appreciated from all of you. Well, my local sewing center repaired my machine (two gears and feed dogs replaced--my choice); I got it back in less than a week and it runs beautifully again. The cost for repairs was not cheap, but as the first in 40 years, seemed very reasonable. He did tell me the timing belt seemed okay but when that went, repairs would be more than the machine is worth. Good to know but I'll keep it anyway. They had a nice Viking at the sewing center on sale for $449; did everything but make coffee, apparently. But I'm still thinking and looking.....

I am glad you have your machine back. What a relief!!

Dina

Blog Entries
    I have a 30 year Janome and a new Horizon. I have had nothing but good service and great machines. Everything depends on your service department. Both of my local servicemen are cranky and that is because women don't have patience with them. I try to always be nice to them, just in case. Don't burn any bridges, but don't take any c--p from them either. You do have a warranty. Keep calling Janome. Emails get little in the way of action usually. Inform the store of your dissatisfaction with their vague diagnosis and loss of services for your machine. Ask for a loaner. We have loaners here. Most shops are sensitive to your needs. Janome needs to plumb up theirk service and teach them how to fix and diagnose machines correctly. This is a training issue. But shouldn't be on your nickle.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

More reasons to love my Bernina.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Quote Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
    Things I've learned from this thread:

a) Stay away from Janome machines and the Janome corporation
    b) Be grateful for the sewing machine repair people in my own town
    c) When a supposedly knowledgeable service person does not know what Error 1 means, it may be a hint.
    I think this is a problem with all major manufacturers and if you decide to stay away from Janome--you had better stay away from not only Janome but New Home, Kenmore, Elna and Viking! The problem really isn't the sewing machine--it is the service person. It is just like cars now.

I love my Toyota but my local dealership sucks! I got way better service when I broke down in a different state than I ever got from my home-town boys and if my home town boys would have actually listened to me instead of charging me for stuff I didn't need--I wouldn't have broken down! Taking my husband was no help at all and probably was a major reason the service guys here didn't look at what I told them to look at.
    Beverly

I would go to the shop and ask for my machine back. The same thing happened to me once with our microwave. It turned out the door just needed adjustment.....Good Luck

I feel your pain and anger. Nothing is more important than having your complaints addressed. It seems like you were ignored and that is not acceptable. I am shocked that the manufacturer was so indifferent to your complaints. If they don't care, why would we expect the dealer to care. They have your money and probably don't care or expect to sell you another machine. My local shop is wonderful and someone else named them as a good place to go--The Stitchery in Howell, Mi. are all great people and greet you like an old friend every time you go in the shop.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
    It's a brand new machine I got last August. Parts and Labor are free

It's also a LQS that I have spent alot of money at on material.

She is not the owner and only works on Thursday.

I may send my husband in. I am usually a very easy going person, because I worked in customer service for over 40 years. But I am just so upset.
    I agree with sending your husband in, mine is the "diplomat" in the family, and he would get my machine back done or not.

I would ask for a different NEW machine!! Apparently there is something wrong with the new one you bought!

It's great to hear you got your machine back! I'm sorry you had to go through this. It is not rude of you to enquire about what is going on with it, especially since you bought it from them. It is VERY rude of them not to return your calls and to leave you "out of the loop" of what is going on, or make vague excuses instead of being straightforward.

I've worked customer service too, and the key (as someone said) is communication!

Regarding Janome, I bought my machine on ebay, but I can email them and they will help me with my questions. I don't think, in this case, Janome is the issue, it is the dealer.

Since you have warranty it might be worth the 2 hr. drive to go to a reputable dealer if something happens again.

btw, was it the motherboard? My machine died and I took it to a small town guy and he replaced a fuse. He also let me take a video with my phone so I would know where it is and how to change it myself the next time. He wasn't even a Janome dealer.
    :-)
    CAS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast