Need Graybar Tension Assy

Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 AM

Default Need Graybar Tension Assy

I have attached pictures of my recently acquired Graybar sewing machine which looks like a White Rotary (model 43?) His name is Gregory and he runs! But he needs the thread tension assembly. He came with the tension assembly parts but I thought it would be easier to purchase one. Does anyone have any ideas where to find one? Or perhaps a better idea would be to find a White Rotary doner machine. Advice needed.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-02-08-graybar-sewing-machine-002.jpg   2012-02-08-graybar-sewing-machine-005.jpg  

Last edited by Caroline S; 03-12-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Caroline, do you have a manual or have you searched the net for one? Re-assembling the tension isn't that hard. And if someone were to send you an assembly it would have to be removed from the donor machine and sent to you like the one above...
Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Yup. Get a manual. If you can follow directions to sew a quilt, you can re-assemble - not THAT many parts.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Yup. Get a manual. If you can follow directions to sew a quilt, you can re-assemble - not THAT many parts.
Well, the problem is that I have not been able to find out what model it is or what machine machine it is copied from. I have done a lot of Internet searching for a manual. This machine has a bullet shuttle and bobbin in it. The only number I was able to find was under the front shuttle plate, #348771. The motor on the machine is also a Graybar.

I am thinking that because the tension assy is in pieces there was a problem with it. I would assume that the tension assembly would be pretty basic. But I don't know if all the parts are with it.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

There is a manual for general sewing machine repair. If you look at tension mechanisms they may show how to do everything you need - see if you have all the parts. Link: http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
Old 03-12-2012, 04:51 PM

Here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graybar-1-an...ht_2169wt_1206

It looks similar enough to your model that it may do the trick. One thing you can do is google GrayBar sewing machines and click on the images button. You can scroll through lots of different pics to see if you can see the tension assembly and do it. Looking at your pieces, it may be all there. You have a few extra bits :> But, it may be missing one of the discs. Sometimes the machines come with 2 of them and I don't know about your model. Lots of times folks will take apart the tension assembly if they're having tension issues, hoping to clean it. Then they forget how to put it back together. Maybe someone on the board has a similar GrayBar and they'd be willing to take some up close pics of the tension assembly and send them to you?

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Well, the problem is that I have not been able to find out what model it is or what machine machine it is copied from. I have done a lot of Internet searching for a manual. This machine has a bullet shuttle and bobbin in it. The only number I was able to find was under the front shuttle plate, #348771. The motor on the machine is also a Graybar.

I am thinking that because the tension assy is in pieces there was a problem with it. I would assume that the tension assembly would be pretty basic. But I don't know if all the parts are with it.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:06 AM

Funny you should have this issue, I just had to do the tension assembly on my longarm. Go to the Gammill website of Jack Boersma, he has some great pictures of how to assemble your tension assembly. Also, youtube has some good information and videos by Jason Reichert. I realize these are longarm assemblies, but they are generally the same in how you put them together.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Yes, try to reassemble your tension. A good sewing machine repair man, look for an elderly one, will have the guts to do this repair. Some of the new ones are a bit too timid and will try to blow you off. It can be rebuilt. I have seen videos. If ALL the parts are there, there is hope.