Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need mounting hinges for my Kenmore >

Need mounting hinges for my Kenmore

Need mounting hinges for my Kenmore

Old 10-18-2015, 07:19 AM

Default Need mounting hinges for my Kenmore

I need to replace the machine mounting hinges for my cabinet model Kenmore 117.740. These Singer hinges look like they are the same. However according to the ebay ad, they measure 1 1/8" across while mine are 1 1/4". I would think that means they will not fit properly. Are all Singer hinges the same size?

I found a set of similar hinges on ebay which said they were for Kenmores but they did not have the screw hole in the center of the large round part. My machine definitely has the screw hole. However they were 1 1/4" diameter which makes me think perhaps Kenmore hinges are not interchangebale with Singer.

Any and all advice appreciated!! Thanks my fellow Vintage machine lovers.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:02 AM

I looked under the cheapest '70s Kenmore cabinet I have and that I was going to take the knee control out of it and stick it to a nicer cabinet. It looks like they changed hinge styles between the time of your cabinet and now. And these attach from the bottom which cannot be best for the cast iron body machines. I am sorry
Old 10-18-2015, 08:06 AM

Thanks anyway quincunx. I have a 117.841 (my avatar), made 2 years after the machine in question. The hinges on that machine are totally different too.....
Old 10-18-2015, 10:25 AM

All the Singer hinges I've measured have been 1 1/8". I wouldn't be too surprised if Sears specified a different size. Sears loved having proprietary items. I remember things like sanding belts and other replacement items being just a little off sized from what other manufacturers used. I stopped buying Craftsman tools because of it.
Rodney
Old 10-18-2015, 04:11 PM

Thanks for trying Rodney.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:05 PM

117's were supposedly made by White (though by the 50's I might question that info). You might have better luck with their hinges.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:48 AM

Thanks Anastasia, my 117's were made by Gritzner in W. Germany. They were kind of interim machines, I believe they were produced in between the Whites and the Japanese ones. I hadn't thought to check using Gritzner in my search though. So thanks for the suggestion....

I'm beginning to think this search may be more difficult that originally thought. As I mentioned in a previous post, my avatar which was produced just 2 years after my 117.740 has a whole different hinge mechanism. It's possible the exact hinge I seek was not used very long. Darn...
Old 10-19-2015, 08:06 AM

I "think", though not positive, that all the non Singer cases use the 1.25" round hinges, while Singer used the 1 1/8" hinges.
When repairing my cases getting hinges is the hardest thing to do. Sometimes I"ll get lucky and the machines I buy that come without cases will have a set of hinges on them. Usually they don't.

Then there are the stamped hinges that break and bend. They are a pain.

If all I had was the 1 1/8" hinges I'd make a filler around them and use them. Not that hard.

Joe
Old 10-19-2015, 09:10 AM

I think you may not need to worry about that. I have also just gotten a '30s or '40s Kenmore cabinet and that one has the 1 1/4" round hinges. Pictures of that one will come once I put the 1701 into there. And once I get bored of the delight of having a machine that lifts up when you open the cabinet. But good news, I was trying to find a good picture of the cabinet on Ebay and found the hinges you want listed as "White Rotary" hinges.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:32 AM

Thanks Joe and Quin. This is all hopeful news. Are the posts which screw into the machines standard sized at least?