Need some help!!!

Old 09-29-2012, 04:16 PM

Unhappy Need some help!!!

Hey all!
I found two sewing machines with cabinets for 30$, one was supposed to work the other was just supposed to need some adjustments.
Well I think they're both froze up. I was stupid and didnt try the one that was supposed to work.
One is a domestic and the other a singer.
The singer is a 328k I think.
And the domestic is a Domestic rotary 153, I think.
I was bound and determined that I was going to get a sewing machine that works, that I was impulsive like I know better than to do.
So if anyone has any ideas as to what could be wrong or what I should do, I would appreciate the help.
And sorry about the mess in the pics, and the bad angles we literally just got them home with in the last half hour lol. Thanks again!!![ATTACH=CONFIG]366353[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]366354[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]366355[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]366356[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]366357[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imgp4945.jpg   imgp4946.jpg   imgp4947.jpg   imgp4949.jpg   imgp4950.jpg  

Old 09-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

I have that green singer. I think it is a 327. I hope you can get it up and running. I've had mine since 1965 and other than oiling every few years (yes I know I am bad) it still works like a charm. Good luck!!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:07 PM

If there is no rust then you've two probabilitys. Old gummed up oil or thread in all the wrong places.

Start with a thorough inspection, pull the top off of the Singer and oil everything. Take the bottom off and oil everything that moves. Take the face plate off and oil everything and check for thread binding it up in there.

The Domestic is a White made machine and the hand wheel rotates away from you, opposite the Singer. Oil it top and bottom everywhere.

You can do it.

Joe
Old 09-29-2012, 05:14 PM

Well, you probably have 2 good machines once you oil and clean them up good. They look pretty to me. I do the same thing. Haven't been wrong yet. I have a son that helps me when I need something analyzed.ha.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
If there is no rust then you've two probabilitys. Old gummed up oil or thread in all the wrong places.

Start with a thorough inspection, pull the top off of the Singer and oil everything. Take the bottom off and oil everything that moves. Take the face plate off and oil everything and check for thread binding it up in there.

The Domestic is a White made machine and the hand wheel rotates away from you, opposite the Singer. Oil it top and bottom everywhere.

You can do it.

Joe

Thank you for the vote of confidence!
I just use sewing machine oil from like joanns right? I still have get some.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Ok well, I messed up the domestic. I tried taking the face plate thing off like a retard and that little silver oval on the bottom of the face plate. well when I took the screw out a little gear and a spring and a tiny washer fell out.
I have no friggin clue how that goes back in, so I'll probly end up having to take that one in.
I'll probly play with the singer later, and I'll be alot more careful this time lol
Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by startella18 View Post
Ok well, I messed up the domestic. I tried taking the face plate thing off like a retard and that little silver oval on the bottom of the face plate. well when I took the screw out a little gear and a spring and a tiny washer fell out.
I have no friggin clue how that goes back in, so I'll probly end up having to take that one in.
I'll probly play with the singer later, and I'll be alot more careful this time lol
Been there and done that. When being "adventuresome" have your camera ready and document each step. Pictures sure help putting parts back together again. I have a White 43 Rotary similar to your machine, same color crinkle finish. I will check it to see. Can you take pictures of the front? What is your sewing machine's serial number?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:55 AM

When I have one that is bound up really bad I put Wd40 on and let sit until things move then I clean as best I can with a soft rag (blot things up). Next step: Like everyone else I oil the tar of of them....any place that moves. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Been there and done that. When being "adventuresome" have your camera ready and document each step. Pictures sure help putting parts back together again. I have a White 43 Rotary similar to your machine, same color crinkle finish. I will check it to see. Can you take pictures of the front? What is your sewing machine's serial number?
I think the serial number is 72464, it just seems so short to me. But like I said before, I'm still pretty new to sewing machines. Mechanical stuff is nothing new to me, since my dad and brother are both mechanics. but machines seem to be a whole new ball game lol. If I would have known there was stuff like that under the plate I never would have touched it, but it surprises me that it just fell out. If you need more I can take more easily. Thanks for any help!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]366529[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]366530[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imgp4951.jpg   imgp4954.jpg  
Old 10-07-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by HiDesertQuilter View Post
When I have one that is bound up really bad I put Wd40 on and let sit until things move then I clean as best I can with a soft rag (blot things up). Next step: Like everyone else I oil the tar of of them....any place that moves. Good luck!
I would advise against using WD40; it will eventually cause problems. When things are "bound up really bad" I use Kroil, which is not readily available (I have to special order it), but works very well. You did say you oil really well after, so that is a good thing, and should counter the effect of the WD40.