Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: new baby= new questions!

new baby= new questions!

today I bought(off CL) a 128 la Vencedora. It has a motor with the knee pedal, beautiful decals, destroyed wiring... so should I repair the motor and wires, and keep it electric? or should I convert it to hand-crank? and if I convert it, will one of my 66's hand cranks work? sorry about the crappy cell-phone pics.

It runs smoothly but is not gliding, if you know what I mean. Per the seller has been in storage for 15 years at least. Serial number puts it just before the depression- April 1929. So I will of course be lubing, oiling, and learning all about long bobbins. Any other advice? how do you open the side compartment?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

Can't answer your questions, but this is a beautiful machine. The decals are in excellent condition.

Blog Entries
    My best advice is to go on Muv's blog and read everything - also she has videos on the sticky
    I had to tap one of the slide plates off on one of mine. Then I cleaned it real good and oiled it a little. It was full of lint. I used a hammer but I was pounding on an old wooden spool. Not real hard - tap tap tap.
    Once you get it working you will love it. I use a HC on one I have from sew-classic so your HC should work - try it anyway - as long as you have the motor mount on the machine you can do it.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

The front cover slides well, but the back one is stuck. Does it pull forward or push off the back?
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

There's usually a knob on the side compartment- just turn a bit and lift. It has a little tab underneath. Hope there are nice treasures inside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    The front cover slides well, but the back one is stuck. Does it pull forward or push off the back?
    I can't say for sure what it is really suppose to do but I tapped mine off the back.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Oh, she is gorgeous! Sorry, no help other than that.

Hi,

Your 66 hand crank will work nicely. Originally, your 128 was kneebar operated so the side compartment probably only contains the controller. You can tell by the hole in the side of case. The controller can be removed to create an empty compartment though. I'm all for converting the 3/4 sized Singer with shot wiring into handcranks as it seems there more needed/ useful like this than as another electric sewing machine. (IMHO)

Jon

It is absolutely beautiful....

Well I just turned pea-green! LOL! I've been searching for this machine with these decals for a long time. I think that the lid should lift right out when you push the tabs aside.

The back slide plate slides backward and they're almost always very stiff.

http://shop.sew-classic.com can sell you a replacement motor, cords and foot control all wired up for about $25. I much prefer the modern electronic foot control - easier on your foot, smoother to control and get the machine going at a steady speed and they don't get hot when sewing long seams at less than wide-open speed.

Have a wonderful time with your new treasure! I'll bet her sister is still out there waiting for me to find her.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast