New Featherweight!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM

Default New Featherweight!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]488378[/ATTACH]Hi! This is my newest acquisition - a tan Featherweight! It was given to me by a friend. I spent about 4 hours cleaning, oiling, removing thread from the bobbin area, forgetting to put the little bobbin finger into the slot, etc. It sounds good and is making beautiful stitches. I just have a couple of questions - is the handwheel supposed to turn easily? Mine is somewhat difficult to turn. I've oiled inside the handwheel and everywhere I possibly could in the upper area of the machine (also the lower). Wondered if I might need a new belt? Perhaps my belt is too tight? Any other possibilities??

Also - I know you are supposed to oil the machine regularly, but am not sure how often that is! Every day if I use it every day? Every time I use it if I only use it occasionally? Just want to know what people in the real world are doing.

Thanks so much - hoping to start some blocks soon - have to finish another quilt first!

Margaret F

PS - Drat! The picture is too big again! So sorry. I've been trying to figure out how to resize my photos - can't do it in Picasa (won't go small enough), downloaded what was probably an easy program for a computer programmer, but not for me...My daughter is going to help me.
Attached Thumbnails image00078.jpg  

Last edited by MFord; 08-19-2014 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Oops!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:21 PM

that is one nice FW. lucky you for getting a free FW. not a solution to your problem but THIS BLOG by NOVA might be handy.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:53 AM

Congrats on your pretty FW. It sounds like perhaps the belt on your machine might be too tight. I've never had that problem with any of my FWs. The hand wheels on mine turn very easily. About your oiling question, I usually oil my machine about once a quilt. But, the sound of my FW really tells me when they need oil. When freshly oiled, they purr. When they need an oil drink, it's a different sound.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:08 AM

That is a great looking Featherweight and for FREE!!! You can't beat FREE.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 AM

2nd on the belt tightness. And how freely does it turn without the belt? Also some of the new belts are stiff.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 AM

She's a real beauty!!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 AM

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 08-21-2014, 06:03 AM

What a nice looking girl, mine's name is "Pearl". Are you sure the bobbin winding wheel is not engaged, if so, it might drag and make it hard to turn. Good luck,
Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 AM

Ditto on the Nova blog. I actually WENT to her FW Maintenance class (1 day). We brought our machines and we learned how to disassemble our machine, clean and oil, and make the outside look like new. She is "hands down" the BEST authority on Featherweights. And she pulls NO PUNCHES when it comes to how to care for your FW. I felt like an authority myself when I left, lol. I signed up for her monthly newsletter and have learned something new almost every month. Your FW is beautiful!
Old 08-21-2014, 06:21 AM

Good friend! I don't think I've seen too many of the newer style. I like the faceplate on yours.
I don't own a featherweight but a machine in good condition should turn freely. I've been learning that the hard way with a 99 that had a bent needlebar.
Take the belt off and see if the machine is still stiff to turn. If it isn't then chances are your belt was too tight. You want it just tight enough to turn the machine, it should still look a little loose. If it's still stiff, it could be as simple as some dried oil that hasn't loosened up yet.
You might be able to download a manual at Singerco.com for free. There should be a section on maintaining your machine in there.
Rodney