Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
No more machines for me anytime soon. >

No more machines for me anytime soon.

No more machines for me anytime soon.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:56 AM

Default No more machines for me anytime soon.

A couple weeks ago our computer crashed. We almost got it back up then it just quit booting up.

Yesterday my wife took it to a computer shop for diagnosis. No idea what was wrong but it would cost us a bunch to find out. So she traded it in on a newer one with a little newer operating system.

So much for that.

I had several machine related things I was going for and a machine on GW right here in Springfield that I lot out on.

I've also lost all bookmarks, mostly sewing related, and email addresses from QB members from the last year.

We're only partially back up and running so I'll try to PM those of you I was working on projects with.

Joe
Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 AM

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes I have had computer experts who are able to retrieve important info including photos off of the computer even though it is beyond repair. Hope you enjoy the new one.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:18 AM

I have some sorry/frustration and a lot of sympathy for you. They should have at least given you the old hard drive, for security if nothing else. Because it probably wasn't the hard drive that died.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:27 AM

Ah phooey, I forgot to be specific. The email addys and book marks lost were from the first crash. I got us up and running with a back up disk.
The hard drive is in the shop, they did give us thumb drive with most of the files on it. Wife's going back after work to make sure they get us the rest of the files.

OK, question about this forum.... I'm on IE right now, and as I'm typing this thing is putting a red bar under each word as I type. It's really slowing me down BAD. It's not the computer, I'm sure it's QB, how do I turn it off?

Joe
Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 AM

Well, if you really feel you need a Machine fix - I'll bring you a few, or five . . . along with the treadle cabinets. What does not fit in my Machine shed, or that I want for my personal Singer collection are going to find new homes.

I'll be like those with too many zucchini - if you leave your car door unlocked, I sneak a machine in there on you!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
OK, question about this forum.... I'm on IE right now, and as I'm typing this thing is putting a red bar under each word as I type. It's really slowing me down BAD. It's not the computer, I'm sure it's QB, how do I turn it off?

Joe
Some people had the same problem with slowed down text input in the help center of the forums. This was the suggestion to fix it.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by macybaby View Post
well, if you really feel you need a machine fix - i'll bring you a few, or five . . . Along with the treadle cabinets. What does not fit in my machine shed, or that i want for my personal singer collection are going to find new homes.

I'll be like those with too many zucchini - if you leave your car door unlocked, i sneak a machine in there on you!
bahhahahahaahah
Old 03-18-2015, 06:32 PM

Hey Joe! are you sure it crashed! or did Mariam visit with her sledgehammer!!!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
A couple weeks ago our computer crashed. We almost got it back up then it just quit booting up.

I had several machine related things I was going for and a machine on GW right here in Springfield that I lot out on.

I've also lost all bookmarks, mostly sewing related, and email addresses from QB members from the last year.

We're only partially back up and running so I'll try to PM those of you I was working on projects with
Joe
joe the same happened to me last fall. new, RAM, tested everything -mother board, hard drive ...all but the cpu ...i told them if the cpu out just forget it...too expensive. they agreed. they had pulled my hard drive & ran on one of their computers and at same time saved &. backed up all of my info that they could. got a new pc w win 7. they had backed up my old drive w essentials (quilt pics & grand darlins). but he said there was too much on my drive to back up at one time when they were trying to move all over to new machine. i asked them for the old hard drive ...they gave it to me and also a thumb drive w more of my files & stuff on it. brought it home, pluged into my new pc & there were the notes & info i was afraid i had lost. so, they may have more of your imfo than they could back up on another thumb drive. also, if you use IE or mozilla etc, when you set up new machine all of your email addys, bookmarks etc should be already there for you. i do a lot of photo editing, have many documents re: family history etc. everything was on the thumb drive that they gave me when i went back for old drive . maybe you could call them and see if they had anything else they saved off of your unit.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:00 AM

Sorry about the crash Joe. I'm waiting for mine to die. I have Windows XP and my computer is old enough it isn't worth trying to install an updated version of windows. I figure it's just a matter of time before some virus gets in and finishes it off.
I use Firefox for a browser and installed AdBlock Plus from Firefox. QB seems vulnerable to a lot of advertizing junk, some of it borderline malware. I don't remember the red line thing for sure. I had one thing that would put links on every word that looked like they could sell something. I haven't had a problem since I put in AdBlock.
I'll send you a pm with my email address.
Rodney