Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Opinions Please - Should I buy this?? >

Opinions Please - Should I buy this??

Opinions Please - Should I buy this??

Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

Default Opinions Please - Should I buy this??

I don't think I am seeking enablers...but here goes...my budget is pretty tight but I am willing to part with the $60 they are asking for this machine if it is a worthwhile buy. So what do you reckon? Is this a featherweight or am I mistaken? Advice please.
Attached Thumbnails %24-kgrhqn-rkfizlf0cgdbsst0swrdg%7E%7E48_20.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 PM

It's a 99 and no, it's not a featherweight. It looks to be in nice condition, but missing the bobbin cover plate. I don't spend much on vintage machines, so I won't burst your bubble if you think it's worth it.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
I don't think I am seeking enablers...but here goes...my budget is pretty tight but I am willing to part with the $60 they are asking for this machine if it is a worthwhile buy. So what do you reckon? Is this a featherweight or am I mistaken? Advice please.
Like Candace said, it's not a FW but a 99k. I wouldn't buy it for $60. Featherweights can be picked up easily in one hand and have 221k or 222k where this one has 99k (bottom of the pillar).
Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Candace and Mike....Here in Perth, vintage is very, very pricey....especially treadles, which I am very keen on (I have one already). I have never seen a Featherweight but have read about them with interest, thought if I came across one I would buy, but we have 4 machines already, so number 5 needs to be pretty special before I increase the numbers. I still have a lot to learn in the sewing machine department (handquilter to begin with), so I really appreciate your help. I shall save my pennies
Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 PM

Here in Perth, vintage is very, very pricey....especially treadles, which I am very keen on (I have one already). I have never seen a Featherweight but have read about them with interest
Featherweights are very easy to discern from 99s. They're both small, but if you haven't seen a FW before it doesn't help to know that they're smaller. The featherweights have a hinged extension just left of the sewing area. Here's a picture of a 222k with the extension up (it folds up to go into the case):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439473[/ATTACH]
Incidentally there have been a load of machines on eBay that I've wanted except they were in Perth and local pick up only, as well as a big lot of Aust Home Journals just last week. I find some of the best bargains at collectables markets (bazaars), garage sales (rare) and estate auctions. For real bargains in op shops (thrift stores for our US friends), I go to the country: There is no op(portunity) in the city shops these days.
Treadles are always pick up only, but I've passed loads of them up here. A treadled 201 went yesterday for $41 on eBay! Lovely cabinet too, which you can put anything else into, except a VS2 (pre-1892).
I'm selling my 221k featherweight ATM (Gumtree ad 1027253748). PM me if you want mine. The price is negotiable, if you know what I mean, and they are always worth more than $300 in good condition.
If you want a really special machine, you need a 222k. Saw one go for $750 a few weeks ago on eBay: Had to pick my jaw off the floor.
Attached Thumbnails front-2.jpg  
Old 10-03-2013, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

I like the 99s better than the FW. I don't think that price is out of line if it is all there and in working order.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:02 AM

I do know that my 99k is a sweet little machine. $60 might not be too bad a price - offer them $40 first though.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
I do know that my 99k is a sweet little machine. $60 might not be too bad a price - offer them $40 first though.
I hate it when people offer me less money for a machine I have spent a lot of time and some money working over... but obviously this machine could use some work. Who knows what all it may need. Go look up how much a slide plate costs, a belt, new bobbins & possibly some wires costs - how much to take apart and reset a tension? take out the bobbin case & clean? Use that as a bargaining chip. I would not pay that much for one that needs work. I would charge that much for one I have worked on. I don't know what the prices run in your area. You would have to figure that one out. That machine looks very nice cosmetically so may be well worth the price in your area.

IMHO the 99 is a real nice machine to own - it is heavy so it won't waltz off your table. It is easier to maintain than the FW. Some times the motor might be a bit more powerful. It is what I gave my DGD. simple machine is good

Last edited by miriam; 10-03-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 AM

I am willing to part with the $60 they are asking for this machine if it is a worthwhile buy.
I like the 99s as well, and, yes, this looks like what I'd pay the price for. 99s are plentiful. However, this one looks nice compared to what's normally available.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 AM

Okay, I'll chuck in my Aussie 2c worth too ... I've got a featherweight and a 99K. They are both in the most beautiful condition and I would say that the 99 has a better straight stitch (by the finest lint fibre) but the Featherweight is stupendously adorable. Have you considered buying a 201?

I just bought my 99K for $60 and it is absolutely pristine, in a gorgeous bentwood case with knee control... and Mike's most recent 201 he got for $10 (which is ridiculous) but you should be able to get a really nice one for $60 if you wait, even in WA. I think he's right that you won't get a featherweight for less than $250. Maybe $200 if you're really really lucky. I say that because I got my 222K for $300 (ish) and they usually go for a lot more... so the 'finds' are out there

Hope this helps a little!

Last edited by frudemoo; 10-03-2013 at 05:05 AM.