Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need opinions please...Hubby said I can buy the new Singer 160

Need opinions please...Hubby said I can buy the new Singer 160

But is it worth it? I have heard great reviews but also heard some not so great.

I currently have a Singer 347 with the cabinet. If I got the new machine I would have to figure out how a new set up so I can have plenty of room to sew.

He said I can get an IPad 2 (cheapest) or the Singer since both cost around the same. Which would you chose?

My current Singer works fine and I kinda like that I use an old machine but the newness peaks my interest. I am also intrigured by the IPad 2 for all the features and portablility BUT I do have a laptop that does the same, just heavier. KWIM?

So it is more of want on both cases than a need......though I guess I could just buy fabric and storage. Ummmmmm, what to do!

Thanks!
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

I don't know how to help you decide....but it is sort of a fun decision, isn't it??

Dina

could you get another brand off machine for the same price but one that has a better recomendation?

Yes, any suggestions for $500 or less.

Blog Entries
    I pad for sure!

Blog Entries
    First mistake was asking permission. LOL I'd buy both if i wanted them but that's just me. If your machine sews good then don't think about the new ones. Piecing is all straight seam sewing so any machine will do that old or new. I would pick the Ipad.
    Got fabric?

Personally, I would stay away from the Singer machines. I have had two of post 1965 machines and neither one was worth the time it took to drop them off a cliff. I love the older ones though. Have had Featherweights, 301's, 15-91's and a few others over the years. Wouldn't have a plastic one or one with computer circuits in them. That is just my experience and opinion. If you truly want another machine how about a vintage Singer? Can't help you with the I pad decision as I have no experience with them and they really don't interest me as long as I have a laptop. Ann in TN

Well he has been wanting a new gun for a while so I let him buy it today and since I have been pricing new machines and IPads, he said I could get one.

As much as I would love a new machine with some bells and whistles, I think I will get the IPad or some form of tablet. When I came upstairs, I saw her and just knew I couldn't replace her. She is solid and has sewn many things over the years and I am sure she will continue to with some good love and care.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew

I purchased the new singer 160 on hsn when it was released. I really like it. For the money it is really a nice machine. Singer finally got this one right. It is your choice but what great fun to toy with the thought for a while!! Have fun.

If your current machine is working.. go for the I Pad. I love a cabinet mounted machine.. Unfortunatley , now you have to spend $$$ on a seperate cabinet.

I had an iPad and hardly ever used it. I have a laptop and found no need for the iPad. I would use the iPad money to by more fabric

Don't get the new Singer. Either get a different machine or the Ipad.

I have lots of machines, new and vintage. But...one I'm thinking about in particular IS post-1965, in fact, it's a 1978 Singer Athena 2010...I gave it fits, loaned it to one of my daughters for three years (she left it in storage, it's now back home with me!), but it ran like a champ then and it still does! The guy that works on my machines had one in his shop that he offered me for free...didn't take it 'cause no room...boy, could I kick myself now!
    The moral of the story here is...maybe you could find one like that in good shape? It's a great machine, no problems out of the one I have so maybe you'd have good luck as well!
    Anyway, whatever you decide, have fun choosing and using!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    I love my IPad, and my favorite machine is my 301. I'd go for the IPad. good luck!!!!

Blog Entries
    I'm frugal. If I didn't NEED it, I wouldn't get it. I'd sew and be happy using what I've got and love the laptop. I'd also wait for something that I needed. Sometimes things happen and priorities will work themselves out. Good luck with your decision, what ever it may be.
    Go forth and sew!

Oh, sounds like it is all good! I think the Ipad would be very useful all the way around. Whatever you do keep your old machine!

I know the biggest problem with the new Singers is they put plastic casings over metal parts and the casings are notorious for breaking apart from the stress. I don't know if this is the case with the Singer 160 though. It's so new, there aren't many reviews out there on it, but here's a couple.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/4514

http://textilediva.blogspot.com/2011...niversary.html
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

When i was married, it would work like this.........he gets the IPad (which i would borrow and not give back) and I would get the machine. It would be win-win...FOR ME!!! well, maybe thats why I am not married anymore. ..lol
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

Blog Entries
    I don't think it's fair to say all newer Singer machines are not good quality. I have the Singer Quantum and it is a wonderful machine. I have never had a problem with it.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I don't think it's fair to say all newer Singer machines are not good quality. I have the Singer Quantum and it is a wonderful machine. I have never had a problem with it.
    Touche, don't have a singer, but I always feel this way when people bash brothers. If you want it, go for it!!!! Ignore the machine snobs!!!!

I don't own any Singers but did see this one at Joann's the other day. The thing that caught my attention was that the fly wheel is made of molded plastic and is coated in that silver paint that eventually will flake off. After seeing this, I lost all interest and walked away. Just my 2 cents.
    Never outsmart your common sense.

Karen

Blog Entries
    I have the 160; purchased it from HSN. Have not had a lot of time to sew on it. I do agree with cizzors that the hand wheel is the one thing I found first that I don't like. If they had made it "black" plastic, it would have been fine and looked nicer. However, I did read on one of the reviews that it is really a very light weight metal...I just don't know how you can tell the difference. Maybe it is really aluminum???? But when I tap on it, it sounds like plastic. The machine does sew a pretty seam and from the last Singer I had ($250 range which I sold) the 160 is heavier AND it sounds more solid. I do like the curved front which helps fabric to lay and feed smoothly. I need to play more before my 30 days are up so I can make a "keep or return" decision.

I do have several vintage machines which I love for straight and zigzag stitching.

Blog Entries
    iPad! Drool. Drool! I really really want one!!

I went with the Samsung Galaxy tablet. Ipad seemed too restrictive in apps and such. And hubby got a wifi hotspot thing with att so we can create a hotspot while traveling. Yay!
    Sabrina

Blog Entries
    I say it depends on what you want the 160 for. I bought one and it is a basic machine with a few decorative stitches--no needle up/down and no thread cutter. It's a little on the heavy side so you probably won't want to take it to classes like you would a featherweight. It makes a nice stitch. I am not bashing Singers--I have 2 Singer Embroidery machines and an L500 that I have had not one ounce of trouble with any of them (contrary to what other's say) and the new 160. I also have 6 vintage Singers. That being said, if your Singer is working fine and unless you want the Singer because of the 160th Anniversary collectaibility, I'd go for the IPad.
    Bernie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast