Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   The dark underside (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/dark-underside-t207416.html)

BoJangles 12-06-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5694182)
Miriam,

Probably not. Many if not all Japanese machines have a J-A + number in the casting. This number Ids the manufacturer. As an example Happy used JA 10. Janome when they made New Homes used JA 2 & JA 30. Maruzen made Kenmores and used JA 4. The list is being compiled by on a Yahoo group by Bill Holman as information becomes available, but it isn't complete yet (maybe never will). The manufacturer of the JA 54 hasn't been identified yet.

Cathy (probably too much information again)

Cathy we are so fortunate to have you here! This is great information! I no longer have any Japanese 15 clones, but I have 3 Japanese made machines including my "Rodney" machine. I am going to check out the underside of my machines to see if I can figure out who made them!

Miriam is this site for the underside of any vintage Japanese machine or just the 15 clones?

Nancy

Caroline S 12-06-2012 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5701775)
Miriam is this site for the underside of any vintage Japanese machine or just the 15 clones?

Miriam is going to start a new thread in a couple of days for Vintage Japanese Badged Machines. The thread will be for all machines that are not Singer Model 15 clones. She says to get your pics ready.

miriam 12-06-2012 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5701795)
Miriam is going to start a new thread in a couple of days for Vintage Japanese Badged Machines. The thread will be for all machines that are not Singer Model 15 clones. She says to get your pics ready.

Yes, that is true - get your pictures ready - I'll get mine when I get done with my day job work for the week

DanofNJ 12-06-2012 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Model 12. Under restoration presently.

miriam 12-06-2012 10:23 PM

we should do a thread on the dark side of the long bobbin machines, too - I am not convinced people read the whole thread some times. That one looks more complicated than the 128

Mizkaki 12-06-2012 11:43 PM

Miriam,

Once you tip the head back on one of these 12s and watch the action, you'll see just how simple they are.
And so easy to work on.
What amazes me is the huge amount of varnish and greasy gunk these 12s have on their undersides. Always much more than any class 15 or 66.

Cathy

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5703506)
we should do a thread on the dark side of the long bobbin machines, too - I am not convinced people read the whole thread some times. That one looks more complicated than the 128

miriam 12-07-2012 12:01 AM

I've seen so many machines all coated and just as many bone dry. Go figure. I got a brief look at Glenn's 12 - pretty cool how the shuttle goes side to side. It would be cool to see a video on how some of these go and the differences - Muv?

Glenn 12-07-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5703532)
I've seen so many machines all coated and just as many bone dry. Go figure. I got a brief look at Glenn's 12 - pretty cool how the shuttle goes side to side. It would be cool to see a video on how some of these go and the differences - Muv?

I was lucky on my 12. It was really clean under the dark side. I just had to do the final clean up.
Skip

Caroline S 12-07-2012 08:24 AM

Dan. Nice 12 under all of that dark gunk. Likely 100+ years of dried whale oil varnish. Always think positive, that gunk prevented rust.

J Miller 12-07-2012 09:47 AM

My 127 was like that 12. I'm still cleaning it. Nothing but Hoppe's and alcohol has touched that gunk. Next machine like that that I see I'm gonna turn and run away from it.

Joe