Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 301A (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-301a-t211715.html)

purplefiend 01-24-2013 08:43 PM

I've had six 301s. 3 black,1 tan long bed, 1 tan short bed and a two tone white and tan. I still have 2 black short beds.
The ones I have now, 1 was free , the other was $200.

costumegirl 01-24-2013 09:41 PM

What a great find!! You will have sew much fun with her!!

I'm also looking for one within my budget but no luck so far. Today I asked the local machine repair dealer if he happened to have one and he has 2, a black and a beige but wants $400 for each. :( I will just have to keep looking and wait for one that is more within range for me.

irishrose 01-25-2013 10:07 AM

ebay has had several lately that went in the $60 range, especially if you don't hold out for a black one. Some have ridiculous set prices, but lots don't.

marytoddliz 01-28-2013 03:11 PM

Thank you all so much, I do like the name "Black Beauty" and she is a dream to sew with, thanks for the tips. I would never have thought to oil her every 8 hours. But it makes sense. i found her Serial number and I just can't believe how well she sews. I want to now find some attachments. Time to go hunting.

I sew when the stress of dealing with all the "stuff" that we have to take care of for my Mom. I can tell you one thing for sure, I will have my life in order for my kids.(famous last words I am sure!) Nothing harder than trying to decide what to keep, what to toss and what to give to the salvation Army. Too bad she never learned to sew!

jennb 01-28-2013 03:28 PM

I have 2 301s. A tan 1948 model in a parlor cabinet that was my grandmothers, then my moms when grandmother got a rocketeer. I learned my basic sewing on it when I was a teenager but mom made all my dresses and costumes on it growing up, which were many many many. Even made my prom dresses. She's way more talented than I am. Someday i'll pull out some photos of my childhood and you can see the hundreds of costumes she made for me. I never owned a store bought dress until I was in high school and my costumes took more time to make. I started buying my own clothes when I started earning paychecks ;) I had no idea back then how much money she spent on me. :eek:

JudyTheSewer 01-28-2013 03:36 PM

Marytoddliz,

May I be so rude as to give an unsolicited suggestion? When we cleared out our mother's home, I took hundreds and hundreds of digital pictures of all of my mom's possessions. A lot of the things had memories attached to them for me. Although I certainly couldn't keep everything, I still have the pictures to warm my heart.

That is great that you scored a machine you were looking for and that it was at a great price also.

Judy

BoJangles 01-29-2013 07:09 AM

Congratulations on your 301! Remember when you start buying attachments, that the 301 takes slant attachments! The bobbin is the same bobbin that a FW uses.

Nancy