Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vincea51 03-05-2011 12:02 PM

Hi Billy

I read in a blog yesterday, that you know how to convert, the gear driven motor singer models, 15-91 and the 201-2, both machines I own. I I have two spare balancing wheels with the fiber gear installed. But in the event the motor burns, or shorts out, I understand I am out of the sewing business with those potted motor machines. Have you a way to install a balancing wheel from an other 15 series or 201 series machines that uses the belt driving motors?

Vince J. arcuri

ohsewvintage 03-05-2011 12:07 PM

Im new to the group and just love this shop. So much information and the machines pictured are awesome. I have several of the vintage machines and hope to put pictures up soon of my favorites. Right now I am in a transition stage of doing anything with them due to the weather. So I will keep lurking and enjoying the fruits of others in the mean time. Great shop, thanks Billy for starting it and giving us an opportunity to learn and brag about our babies!
Lena

Lostn51 03-05-2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by vincea51
Hi Billy

I read in a blog yesterday, that you know how to convert, the gear driven motor singer models, 15-91 and the 201-2, both machines I own. I I have two spare balancing wheels with the fiber gear installed. But in the event the motor burns, or shorts out, I understand I am out of the sewing business with those potted motor machines. Have you a way to install a balancing wheel from an other 15 series or 201 series machines that uses the belt driving motors?

Vince J. arcuri

Hey there and welcome to the Shop!!!

Hmmmm the old "lets take the potted motor off and use a regular motor trick" I see! Yes there is a member here that has done it before and hopefully they will read this. (I cant remember who did this, if I did I would tell you who and let you PM them)

It is my understanding that it is really easy and I think it takes a handwheel from a 27 (longer shank) to make it work. If I had one of those machines here right now I would try and to do it just to see what it does take, but I dont.

Billy

vincea51 03-05-2011 12:13 PM

Billy
Thanks that's good enough. I'll research the model 27 lead. ...

Vince

Lostn51 03-05-2011 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ohsewvintage
Im new to the group and just love this shop. So much information and the machines pictured are awesome. I have several of the vintage machines and hope to put pictures up soon of my favorites. Right now I am in a transition stage of doing anything with them due to the weather. So I will keep lurking and enjoying the fruits of others in the mean time. Great shop, thanks Billy for starting it and giving us an opportunity to learn and brag about our babies!
Lena

I am glad that you found us!!! Just come on in and make yourself comfortable and have some fun.

So what machines do you have and do you use them to make quilts with or just collect?

Billy

Lostn51 03-05-2011 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by vincea51
But in the event the motor burns, or shorts out, I understand I am out of the sewing business with those potted motor machines. Have you a way to install a balancing wheel from an other 15 series or 201 series machines that uses the belt driving motors?

Vince J. arcuri

You know that I have a guy that rebuilds the potted motors if yours ever crap out. All it is usually is the brushes are worn and the armature needs deglazing.

Billy

dreamer2009 03-05-2011 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Billy this is what I see...

Lostn51 03-05-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
Billy this is what I see...

PM sent!!

Billy

Miz Johnny 03-05-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by hootnannie
Happy Birthday Miz Johnny... and thank you for all you give to us!!

Hmn--how did you know this? Am I being stalked by a crazed sewing machine collector???? If so, could you please leave me bobbins instead of roses? Thanks.

Miz Johnny 03-05-2011 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/hsh/2239564133.html

Any thoughts?

And shame on me for not posting the last machine I picked up last month!! :roll: :roll: :oops:

Nice machine, but far too much money. You can buy the extension for about $30, and that's what's most special about this machine.