Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

DonnaC 09-13-2011 07:21 PM

At the risk of getting my friends here on the vintage machine thread all riled up (smile - just kidding!), how difficult is it to convert a hand-crank machine to electric? I have a lovely 1916 hand-crank that I may want to try and convert, especially this week after having no end of problems with my fancy-schmancy machine. At least I know my all-metal antique machine would be realiable! I have absolutely no knowledge of electrical work, by the way. Any insight?

Charlee 09-13-2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC
At the risk of getting my friends here on the vintage machine thread all riled up (smile - just kidding!), how difficult is it to convert a hand-crank machine to electric? I have a lovely 1916 hand-crank that I may want to try and convert, especially this week after having no end of problems with my fancy-schmancy machine. At least I know my all-metal antique machine would be realiable! I have absolutely no knowledge of electrical work, by the way. Any insight?

It's not a problem Donna....you attach a motor, a belt and go to town! If your machine is a VS, it may not take well to the speed of an electric motor...

You really ought to consider leaving your handcrank as is and getting a 201 or a 15.. :) (JMHO)

DonnaC 09-13-2011 07:29 PM

I totally agree, Charlee! I keep looking for a great deal on one of those two models.... !

chris_quilts 09-13-2011 07:39 PM

I ran across a centennial Singer 15-90, I believe, with attachments, buttonholer, buttonholer templates, needles, bobbins and in a lovely blonde wood cabinet. It also had the manual with it. Seller wants $87.50 for it. Am only mildly tempted because I have already have 2 or 3 15s plus a couple of clones but wondered what thoughts are about the price. DH has pretty much I could buy it if I wanted it but I do a teensy space issue already plus over 20 machines.

vintagemotif 09-13-2011 11:41 PM

I totally agree, Charlee! I keep looking for a great deal on one of those two models.... !

If you plan on doing free motion quilting then look for a Singer 15-90 or 15-91. The 15s do a better job of FM than do the 201s. Have fun hunting!

Quilt Mom 09-14-2011 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady

Originally Posted by miriam

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

Any thoughts on this one? I called about it - I can't tell a lot from the picture, but I've wanted a toy Singer. What should I be looking for- and what do they go for? Ive seen them go for a lot more on eBay,and that's not counting the shipping. I think it looks like a centennial one.
http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2593341424.html

I'd get it if I were there. I have no idea about value in your neck of the woods, but it looks reasonable in mine.

I'm meeting her at one - unless it looks like there's a big problem I'm going to own a baby Singer!

You have cool toys can I come over to play?

Sure - anytime!
Well, I didn't have any problems - we met in a parking lot at a local shopping plaza. Just mover her MIL to a nursing home and was selling her things. Here are some pictures of my newest machine - good thing it's small, I'm running out of room!

OOh! I'm jealous! I keep looking, and looking, and looking. Lately my travel has been curtailed by the roads that are (still) closed due to the Missouri River flooding. Ah, well. Some day I will find one of those cute little toy machines! I am happy you got the sew-handy. Enjoy! :thumbup:

BoJangles 09-14-2011 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
OMG! These things really do work well!

After seeing a demo at the TOGA this weekend, I got brave enough to play with my Singer ruffler today.

These are the best! This is the prettiest gathering I have ever done.

Wow Monica good for you! I tried to use the ruffler a while back and got 'flat' spots. It would ruffle for a while - skip with no ruffling - then ruffle again! I wonder if it was operator error or a bad ruffler? I will have to try again!

Nancy

BoJangles 09-14-2011 05:31 AM

Well, I didn't have any problems - we met in a parking lot at a local shopping plaza. Just mover her MIL to a nursing home and was selling her things. Here are some pictures of my newest machine - good thing it's small, I'm running out of room!

Deplaylady, what a cute little machine! Congratulations!

Nancy

BoJangles 09-14-2011 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

If you plan on doing free motion quilting then look for a Singer 15-90 or 15-91. The 15s do a better job of FM than do the 201s. Have fun hunting!

Donna, I agree with Monica if you are on the hunt for an e-machine, which I know you are, - but for the rest of you that want a treadle to free motion quilt with - find a 15-88! They come as treadles, never had a motor attached. I do all my free motion quilting with my 15-88!

Nancy

BoJangles 09-14-2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
vinetagemotif and lee231, what is that bar and screw at the top of the machine for??? something to do with the thread??

Linda, I know this got answered already, but the correct term for the thingy on top is a 'Tension Spring and Cap.' The screw is the 'Tension Screw.' And, yes this is the tension assembly.

Nancy