Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

melinda1962 11-10-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict (Post 4661696)
That is a great looking machine. Congratulations.

I second that motion, cabbagepatchkid. I have a newer New Home and it still has the dog.

quiltdoctor 11-10-2011 11:42 AM

[QUOTE=BoJangles;4660697][ATTACH=CONFIG]285786[/ATTACH]

Sorry Monica, I have been taking care of a sick grandson for a couple days!

I did get the Hales Crescent a couple days ago. It is a really cute machine - looks sort of like a Two Spools, but it is a vibrating shuttle. I got the machine, cabinet, original manaul, and 3 shuttle bobbins for $10. The machine itself is worth $10! Now the bad part, the machine is in great shape - owned by the same family all its life. The cabinet, though, is going to need some major repair work. DH welded the treadle irons - that came out great, but the whole top of the cabinet has to be re-done - new veneer, even some of the boards under the veneer are split! Now, he has 4 he has to re-do (I am almost finished with the cabinet for the 319w).

Now I am trying to find some information out about the Hales Crescent! They were made by Johnson, Flanders and Co. between 1865 and 1883 - that is all I can find out? I am sure this machine is from the early 1900's not the late 1800's, but according to the records it can't be because the company was out of busines by 1883? I also find nothing on ISMACS needle site about needle size. It appears to take a Boye #10 like a Davis? Geeze, I am always getting these mystery machines!

Nancy[/QUOTE
That is one beautiful machine!! Can't wait to see the cabinet and irons redone.

Texas Jan

miriam 11-10-2011 11:43 AM

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/2694157946.html
I just about peed my pants laughing... they don't have a clue - looks like it was dropped too

Celeste 11-10-2011 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid (Post 4661081)
It has an interesting decal on the bed of the machine. There is a greyhound type dog with the words "light running". I wonder what that meant? There is a bit of rust on some of the metal pieces that I'm hoping to get off but I'm not having much luck with the bobbin winder, which I have already tried polishing. There is some pitting and corrosion under the rust. Either way, it's a beauty and is now adorning the space under my kitchen window.

Ooooh, I love that dog decal! She sure is a pretty machine.

vintagemotif 11-10-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4660697)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]285786[/ATTACH]

I did get the Hales Crescent a couple days ago. It is a really cute machine - looks sort of like a Two Spools, but it is a vibrating shuttle. I got the machine, cabinet, original manaul, and 3 shuttle bobbins for $10. The machine itself is worth $10! Now the bad part, the machine is in great shape - owned by the same family all its life. The cabinet, though, is going to need some major repair work. DH welded the treadle irons - that came out great, but the whole top of the cabinet has to be re-done - new veneer, even some of the boards under the veneer are split! Now, he has 4 he has to re-do (I am almost finished with the cabinet for the 319w).

Now I am trying to find some information out about the Hales Crescent! They were made by Johnson, Flanders and Co. between 1865 and 1883 - that is all I can find out? I am sure this machine is from the early 1900's not the late 1800's, but according to the records it can't be because the company was out of busines by 1883? I also find nothing on ISMACS needle site about needle size. It appears to take a Boye #10 like a Davis? Geeze, I am always getting these mystery machines!

Nancy

Nancy, Pretty machine! Looks like a Davis or National. In my opinion more like a Davis NVF body, just minus the walking foot, reverse tack, and stitch length guide is located in different position.

vintagemotif 11-10-2011 12:40 PM

I have been following this New Home treadle machine, on Craigslist, and the price finally dropped to $50.00 so I put in a call about it. The man was even advertising free delivery and he dropped it off yesterday. He said that it had belonged to his grandmother and they had been using it as a piece of furniture.

It has an interesting decal on the bed of the machine. There is a greyhound type dog with the words "light running". I wonder what that meant? There is a bit of rust on some of the metal pieces that I'm hoping to get off but I'm not having much luck with the bobbin winder, which I have already tried polishing. There is some pitting and corrosion under the rust. Either way, it's a beauty and is now adorning the space under my kitchen window.

Very pretty machine! I would just clean it with sewing oil to protect those decals.

melinda1962 11-10-2011 01:29 PM

Good luck on finding the information on the Hales Crescent. It is a pretty machine with an interesting story. Can't wait to hear the rest of it.....

jlhmnj 11-10-2011 01:48 PM

Hales Crescent

[QUOTE=quiltdoctor;4662090]

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4660697)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]285786[/ATTACH]

Nancy[/QUOTE
That is one beautiful machine!! Can't wait to see the cabinet and irons redone.

Texas Jan

Hi,
I'd put my money that the Hales Crescent is a badged Davis bottom feeder. I have a similar machine that is about 3/4 size. Needlewise it might take a standard 15 x 1 or if not a #10 Boye. What's the serial number? Nice machine, great price.
Jon

Glenn 11-10-2011 01:58 PM

I have been following this New Home treadle machine, on Craigslist, and the price finally dropped to $50.00 so I put in a call about it. The man was even advertising free delivery and he dropped it off yesterday. He said that it had belonged to his grandmother and they had been using it as a piece of furniture.

Very nice machine and decals are wonderful. You did good.:thumbup:

Charlee 11-10-2011 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51 (Post 4661874)
Actually they are not clones at all they are called "Japanese 15's" and are better engineered in my own opinion than the Singer counterpart.

Billy

Technically, yes. Also technically, none of them are 15s unless that's the actual model number of them. It's commonplace to call them 15 clones, and it's easily remembered. Was it Nancy that said she LIKED to call them "clones" because it gave them a "sci-fi" aura?

A 15 has the tension on the faceplate as opposed to the front of the machine. If the tension is not on the faceplate it's neither a "Japanese 15" nor is it a "Clone".

Opinions are wonderful things, aren't they?