Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 11-22-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 4711021)
So, Miriam, Charlee, Glenn, anyone else maybe have this spring I need???

I wish I could help!! I only have the one 66 (so far) and I don't see a spring on the bobbin winder!

Charlee 11-22-2011 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris (Post 4711180)
thank you, thank you, thank you....it will be some time, peak season is here at work and overtime has become mandatory but come the first of the year.......can't wait to get started. :o

You can't get better help!! :) Glenn is the KING OF WOOD!! LOL

Weedwoman 11-22-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4711127)
sounds like a good idea - those are pretty bad and lots of them. I wonder if we could paint it on with a long brush.

I'd say just get one of those pump up sprayers and go for it. I have an uncle who carries diesel fuel and uses it for everything. When he gets a cut or scratch, pour diesel fuel on it. I think if he cut off his leg, he'd put diesel fuel on the stump and think it would grow a new leg. He swears by it for keeping anything from getting infected. He's 80 now so he must have a clue about something. lol

miriam 11-22-2011 05:54 PM

My BIL uses diesel for everything - cleans up sewing machines too - about like kerosene.

misseva 11-22-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4711127)
sounds like a good idea - those are pretty bad and lots of them. I wonder if we could paint it on with a long brush.

put in a pump-up sprayer with a fine mist. good coverage with minimal spray.

mpeters1200 11-22-2011 06:21 PM

Sounds like I'll be going after the first one! And I was outbid again tonight and can't go more than I already have.

You guys are awesome!

jlhmnj 11-22-2011 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=mpeters1200;4711357]Sounds like I'll be going after the first one! And I was outbid again tonight and can't go more than I already have.

I've always had better luck on ebay than goodwill. Guess GW is a good cause and the bids seem to go higher or I need to practice my sniping. Fun to look at the machines even if I don't bid on anything. Good luck---lots of sewing machines in the ocean.
Jon

BoJangles 11-22-2011 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4709279)
I actually paid for my body bag:> I use it around the house for Halloween to add ambiance. You can ask Nancy. She saw it;>

Yes, I did see the body bag! Candace you had lots of ambiance in the house and in your yard! I bet the kids 'trick or treating' loved coming to your house!

Nancy

BoJangles 11-22-2011 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by jillnjo (Post 4711000)
I have a question concerning the Free treadle machine I tried to sew with for the first time today. It wants to skip stitches every 2 or 3 inches as I sew along. The tension seems good and I have checked the needle to be sure it is inserted correctly, and it seems like it is, but I am looking for any help you might have. I have exhausted my information from the manual and can't see any help there. I have a new needle in and am sewing with 2 pieces of cotton.

I have done a lot of piecing with my Free # 5 treadle and had no problem at all with the stitches. Did you oil everything on that machine that moves? Did you take off the face plate to oil there, oil under the bed, everywhere? Sometimes the old machines get kind of sticky feeling, like when you are sewing once in a while you feel some drag? That drag is usually the needle bar that needs oil. Did you floss the tension disk really good to make sure there is no gunk between the tension disks? Even though you think the machine is threaded correctly, I'd start by re-threading the machine and re-thread the shuttle. I'd also put in a new needle, sometimes the needles are bad out of the package. Just keep sewing to get all the quirks out, your machine should come around and sew perfectly once it is loosened up! Please keep us posted on our progress!

Nancy

vintagemotif 11-22-2011 11:21 PM

Spent all day quilting with my 201. Machine was working beautifully before dinner, fixed dinner, took care of family and dog, and then went back to quilting. Since the needle was sounding old, I replaced the needle and oiled the machine. I prepare all my other sections that I wanted to quilt for the evening (I'm doing a quilt as you go). Start quilting a piece only to realize the dang machine is not stitching correctly. I do everything under the sun that I know on fixing the fiasco, but nothing works. I give up and go to my Davis NVF to at least finish off the piece that I started; I get that finished. I play around with the 201 another half hour to no avail. I give up, take shower, and eat a large bowl of ice cream. Of course I can't leave the machine alone until morning. So, I go back to try one more time to get it to do the beautiful stitches that it's famous for. I say some words of encouragement. Well, she sews for me the prettiest stitches. I look at her and say not what the heck was that all about.

Sometimes I think these vintage ladies are telling us to take a break, just slow down and relax. I'm off to have a cup of camomile tea now that I know the machine is working.

May your Thanksgiving be safe, gratifying, and relaxing. Peace!:)