Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 06-15-2012 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5291783)
This person has been a member for almost 2 years and was not reading the rest of the information posted on this board about cleaning up an old machine. I do hope those tutorials are removed soon.

I know Miriam, but many people have made the mistake of trusting him... trouble is, a machine like this one is damaged beyond repair before they learn not to. She didn't know that he didn't tell EVERYTHING when he made his tutorials...

BoJangles 06-15-2012 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5291562)
Linda, it works best if you cut off 18" of the first strip. Otherwise you end up with each strip starting on one side of the quilt and ending on the other side, next strip doing the same, etc. so you end up with just strips basically sewn together. Taking off the 18" makes it so the the strips "wrap" to the next row. Am I making this clear? :-)

Janice thank you! I forgot about that step! Yes, after you sew your very very long strip together - you must cut off about 18''s of "one" side so your seams are off set! You don't want any seams lining up together!

Nancy

miriam 06-15-2012 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5291796)
I know Miriam, but many people have made the mistake of trusting him... trouble is, a machine like this one is damaged beyond repair before they learn not to. She didn't know that he didn't tell EVERYTHING when he made his tutorials...

Sad but true. If you google search cleaning up a vintage sewing machine that tutorial still comes up - not as close to the top but it does come up. If that is all the information you get you could do some serious damage.

Glenn 06-15-2012 05:33 PM

Charlee I do hope they remove his tutorials they are doing more harm than good. I am glad you caught this one.
Skip

Charlee 06-15-2012 05:44 PM

Anyone have a "Graybar" machine that needs a case?

http://bend.craigslist.org/atq/3080300277.html

purplefiend 06-15-2012 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5288782)
I missed the National SM Day too...didn't sew yesterday at all. Too busy watching Dodgers & Angels game with Mom. She's an Angels fan and I'm a Dodgers fan....it was so fun!! They have played a Freeway Series over the last 3 days, so we have had all the baseball we needed!! LOL

I am a Dodgers fan, its hard to find the games now that I live in Texas. I grew up in southern CA.

xxxxxxxxxx 06-15-2012 11:17 PM

that graybar case,,,, my apartment eletric case looks just like that, less the name.

Thats a interesting name ,,,, graybar that I know of is the largest industrail elec supply in the USA,, from the line of stock and tools they carry, I have to wonder if they may have sold sewing machines at one time .

The graybar on the case is the same as the graybar logo for that company today..

charlee I would love to have taht , but I never get over that way , I just took on a two month project today .. I'm about to say I'll give ya a 15 - 91 for it LOLOLOLOL

Muv 06-16-2012 04:52 AM

Such a shame. I saw the photos of the that machine yesterday, and this morning the entire thread had gone. The link in Charlee's post 35682 above no longer takes you anywhere, and the thread doesn't appear in the list of threads in this section. Billy's tutorials are still there though.

BoJangles 06-16-2012 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by notsureif (Post 5292271)
that graybar case,,,, my apartment eletric case looks just like that, less the name.

Thats a interesting name ,,,, graybar that I know of is the largest industrail elec supply in the USA,, from the line of stock and tools they carry, I have to wonder if they may have sold sewing machines at one time .

The graybar on the case is the same as the graybar logo for that company today..

charlee I would love to have taht , but I never get over that way , I just took on a two month project today .. I'm about to say I'll give ya a 15 - 91 for it LOLOLOLOL

Notsureif, I did some research on Graybar at one time because I was interested in a Graybar machine. The Graybar Company actually 'manufactured' consumer products, i.e, washing machines, vacuums, sewing machines from 1926 to 1934. The company succumbed to the Depression about 1934. Graybar, started out as Western Electric - split off from Western Electric in 1925 - became Graybar - then after the Depression the company discontinued making/manufacturing its own products. Graybar is still a huge company today, but they are a 'distribution' of products company. National made Western Electric machines between 1917 and 1918 - only for 2 years - then Graybar took over until the companies split!

It is so interesting to try and figure out 'who' manufactured a particular machine when you get one of those that changed companies a few times!

Nancy

I don't know where Monica has been, but she 'had' a Graybar. I think she gave it away, but not sure?

Charlee 06-16-2012 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Muv (Post 5292550)
Such a shame. I saw the photos of the that machine yesterday, and this morning the entire thread had gone. The link in Charlee's post 35682 above no longer takes you anywhere, and the thread doesn't appear in the list of threads in this section. Billy's tutorials are still there though.

Muv, I think Patrice misunderstood...I'm sending her another message! (It would have been my fault, that was the only link I sent her to show her one of the results of someone that's used the tute)