Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Crossstitcher 06-29-2012 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5324975)
These are the quilt blocks I picked up the other day...they cost me 1.50... Anyone have an idea of date for these fabrics?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345352[/ATTACH]

Could be the origanial 30's material that they are now reproducing. I like the different colors.

J Miller 06-29-2012 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5325106)
I just heard from the 301's seller. She wanted to know what I wanted for the broken case or did I want to return the machine? My answer will make some you purist's hair stand on end - the price of a roll of duct tape and a can of spray paint. I want the case to store the machine after she makes a table runner, not for its possible historical value. I do not want to return a 301!!!!!

My Sewmore 404 came in a box that had completely fallen apart in shipping. I took it apart cleaned it and glued it all back together. Now to cover it. I'm going to use a dark burgundy polished cotton for that.

Our Domestic's box was badly messed up so I glued it back together, then used acrylic craft paints to touch up the damaged area.

I have many of the old cases that have had separated joints that Elmer's wood glue has fixed nicely.

I don't think I could stand duct tape though.

Joe

irishrose 06-29-2012 05:39 AM

Joe, my children call me the duct tape queen. They even bought me a calendar and a book of 1001 things you can do with duct tape. Have you seen the tie dye and the leopard prints? Very cool, but I haven't found a use for them yet. John, I've used 97 cent spray paint, but love the coverage of a new one, I think it's Rustoleum X2. My only concern is scuffing up the tape enough so the paint will hold. Steel wool? You're right, packing tape is strong.

irishrose 06-29-2012 06:36 AM

Update: the seller refunded me $20 instead of the smaller amount I asked for. That means I paid $89 total for a long bed 301, a packed box of attachments and a repairable case. I can handle that.

Charlee 06-29-2012 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 5325499)
Could be the origanial 30's material that they are now reproducing. I like the different colors.

That's what I was thinking Trish...these are old blocks, just wasn't sure how old. :) Thin muslin tho... am tempted to back it with a heavier muslin.

J Miller 06-29-2012 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5325709)
Update: the seller refunded me $20 instead of the smaller amount I asked for. That means I paid $89 total for a long bed 301, a packed box of attachments and a repairable case. I can handle that.

Sounds good. That $20.00 will cover the repair needs and then some I think.

Joe

J Miller 06-29-2012 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5325715)
That's what I was thinking Trish...these are old blocks, just wasn't sure how old. :) Thin muslin tho... am tempted to back it with a heavier muslin.

I like the one on the lower right corner that looks like a tile mosaic.

Joe

vintagemotif 06-29-2012 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 5325499)

I was thinking the same. That should be a pretty quilt.

chris_quilts 06-29-2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5324975)
These are the quilt blocks I picked up the other day...they cost me 1.50... Anyone have an idea of date for these fabrics?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345352[/ATTACH]

Charlee, Very pretty is all I can say and I also like the tile, mosaic looking one. You stole them for $1.50.

Bennett 06-29-2012 11:40 AM

Charlee, what a fun find! Are they edged in a bias strip, or is that stitching? It looks very uniform throughout the blocks.