Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

DanofNJ 09-13-2012 07:39 PM

I have seen a few, they were originally brought from Germany and used in the US...immigrant style.

blueheavenfla 09-13-2012 09:10 PM

I don't know if they would be the right ones but I can't imagine that the ones sold oftentimes in luggage stores wouldn't work. I have no idea how much they are now but years ago, I think they sold for about $35.

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5512804)
Where does one come up with a 110 V to 240 V converter? And how much would one cost?

Joe

BoJangles 09-14-2012 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5511369)
It was longer than the 1 month they said, for sure! You're right, closer to two months. I'm just hoping I don't show up to a bill amount for over the estimate and that it does all the embroidery stitches. I won't be able to pick it up until the weekend. I suspect that this one gave him trouble. I know it did for me and that's why I handed it off to a professional! I don't like to do that, but this one was simply too much for me. Some vintage machines are just worth the $ if they're somewhat rare and in awesome condition, like this Pfaff 362 is.

Oh and by the way, I'm absolutely loving the Pfaff 1471! Tell your friend she has a great machine. I've pieced and quilted several quilts on it and it's one I won't part with.

Geeze, Candace you are fast - you already pieced and quilted several quilts with that Pfaff! You just got that Pfaff! Yep, Janet loves her 1471 too! She bought it new and still uses it all the time - it comes to Strip Club with us! You just flat got lucky on that deal! I am glad you like that machine - the dark red machine goes with your red hair!

Nancy

BoJangles 09-14-2012 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by DanofNJ (Post 5512910)
I have seen a few, they were originally brought from Germany and used in the US...immigrant style.

Dan, that is a cool looking Avatar!

Nancy

BoJangles 09-14-2012 05:42 AM

We bought a little Singer 99 that was wired for European power. All I did was turn it into a HC! Solved the problem - didn't need a converter! Luckily that little 99 had the spoked HW so making it a HC was really easy!

Nancy

Candace 09-14-2012 07:39 AM

Nancy, I bought a couple of those Gee Bend kits that make large wallhangings or lap quilts. I used it for those. :>

quiltingweb 09-14-2012 07:50 AM

Does anyone know if a White Rotary, circa 1929 that was originally built as a corded machine can be turned into a hand crank or treadle? It's all cleaned up now, but it's cabinet is in sad shape and the wiring is worse.

Barb in MN

J Miller 09-14-2012 12:01 PM

Barb in MN,

I can't answer you about turning it into a hand crank because I've seen so few of them. A treadle, yes, all you need is the right cabinet.

The wiring isn't that hard to fix as long as you have the connector blocks and plugs. And the existing cabinet can be fixed up too.

Joe

irishrose 09-14-2012 03:08 PM

I'm pretty sure my 1926 White was an e machine all its life. The wiring certainly looks it.

vintagemotif 09-14-2012 03:28 PM

As most of you know, I like to go off topic from time to time. I'm not going to be talking about my sewing adventures today, like bra making. Instead, I'm talking about my day spent cleaning my front loading washing machine.

I have this habit of forgetting to clean the dang thing (might have to do with quilting projects and vintage sewing machines).
Well, today I remembered that the machine was long over due for a cleaning. Yes, I have some mold issues now because of my neglect. So I cleaned the outside of the gasket, then took a break to find a couple of tutorials on cleaning front loaders. Well, to my surprise there is another world hidden behind that outer gasket....and eeks! I found a sock that was growing slime and covering the drainage holes. Yes, my bad. In the thorough cleaning, I wasn't going to miss one hidden fold of that gasket.

So the moral of this story is this: when cleaning your front loader after you are finish washing for the DAY, please make sure you get all those hidden areas clean and dry; otherwise, the mold will find ya.:p Next washer will not be a front loader.

The End.