Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 10-22-2012 04:46 PM

Yes I sneaked in a pic. We went camping at Red River Meeting House in southern KY last weekend. Weather was nice. We saw some old friends. It was a historical camp. Red River Meeting was at the site of the Second Great Awakening in the US. So they also had some history lessons and some preaching. Both were very interesting. There was a lot of history there. We were dressed for the occasion. I made the clothes we were wearing.

DGS has been trying to eat things he shouldn't so Mommy is taking him to the Dr for some blood tests tomorrow. That should go over big. Poor Wilbur is always in trouble. His little brother is almost one year old. He can snatch food (actual food - well other stuff) right out of thin air and stuff his mouth. Since SIL is part Micmac the GKs all have a native name. Miss M has been telling everybody Walter's Knick Knack (micmac) name is Many Hands.

Well we tried to build a frame for a Singer 99 out of 2 X 4s just to get her off the table - some how it ended up warped. It fit in there ok but it sure does rock. I guess we are going to have to break down and buy some wood... do it right...

My son is doing ok - just sore. The driver of the other car was very drunk. He has insurance - YIPPIE!!!

nanna-up-north 10-22-2012 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=Monroe;5604470]Packing peanuts aren't very useful for cushioning sewing machines in transit because they can shift. To save space pad inside the case with clothes and towels. Cover the machine first with an old pillowcase to avoid oil staining.

I'll have plenty of fabric to take back.... that will work. Thanks, Monroe

miriam 10-22-2012 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=nanna-up-north;5605006]

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 5604470)
Packing peanuts aren't very useful for cushioning sewing machines in transit because they can shift. To save space pad inside the case with clothes and towels. Cover the machine first with an old pillowcase to avoid oil staining.

I'll have plenty of fabric to take back.... that will work. Thanks, Monroe

Ha Ha - leave the towels, sheets, pillows, blankets, pillow cases, clothes, socks, underwear and take the machine home...

nanna-up-north 10-22-2012 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=miriam;5605011]

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 5605006)

Ha Ha - leave the towels, sheets, pillows, blankets, pillow cases, clothes, socks, underwear and take the machine home...

The machine is worth more to me..... that's for sure!!

Your weekend sounds like fun..... and glad to hear your son's doing okay.... and Wilbur sounds like a regular boy!

blueheavenfla 10-22-2012 05:02 PM

You will have to share some of you new "learnin'" that you learnt at Red River Meeting House. Maybe on you "good old days" diary. I love that Knick Knack name of many hands...sounds very appropriate. Glad to hear that your son is doing ok even if sore isn't any fun, he should be yippie happy along with you since the drunk had insurance.

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-22-2012 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla (Post 5604887)
I feel like I have just received letters from family who live "up north".

This is how I feel often about this thread!! Seems we all sort of come and go but we always find our way back here...it's nice to sort of have, "old friends" to come back and keep up with. ;) Even when life gets in the way and I don't find time to keep up, I look forward to popping back in and see what everyone's been up to.

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5604990)
Yes I sneaked in a pic. We went camping at Red River Meeting House in southern KY last weekend. Weather was nice. We saw some old friends. It was a historical camp. Red River Meeting was at the site of the Second Great Awakening in the US. So they also had some history lessons and some preaching. Both were very interesting. There was a lot of history there. We were dressed for the occasion. I made the clothes we were wearing.

DGS has been trying to eat things he shouldn't so Mommy is taking him to the Dr for some blood tests tomorrow. That should go over big. Poor Wilbur is always in trouble. His little brother is almost one year old. He can snatch food (actual food - well other stuff) right out of thin air and stuff his mouth. Since SIL is part Micmac the GKs all have a native name. Miss M has been telling everybody Walter's Knick Knack (micmac) name is Many Hands.

Well we tried to build a frame for a Singer 99 out of 2 X 4s just to get her off the table - some how it ended up warped. It fit in there ok but it sure does rock. I guess we are going to have to break down and buy some wood... do it right...

My son is doing ok - just sore. The driver of the other car was very drunk. He has insurance - YIPPIE!!!

Would love to see better pictures of the clothes you made Miriam. Sounds like a fun trip. I'm a big history nerd but the Husband, not so much. His passion is baseball. We come together when it comes to old things though. That I think is why we get along so well. :)

So very glad to hear all is well with your son and that the other guy had insurance! Could have been much worse. :(

miriam 10-22-2012 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla (Post 5605016)
You will have to share some of you new "learnin'" that you learnt at Red River Meeting House. Maybe on you "good old days" diary. I love that Knick Knack name of many hands...sounds very appropriate. Glad to hear that your son is doing ok even if sore isn't any fun, he should be yippie happy along with you since the drunk had insurance.

OH BTW the drunk was out of jail in 12 hours. Go figure.

craftiladi 10-22-2012 05:57 PM

Oh my goodness I just spent hours playing catch-up,what a wealth of information here.
Huge thank-you to all of you for sharing your knowledge of vintage machines.
I have a 1948 15-90 singer , singer 1897 treadle, singer 99-3 & 2 Kenmores that I am not sure of exact dates. My latest is a WIP as I am told its a badged National, I want to turn her into a hand crank but am told probably can't do that unless I find another National for parts.

blueheavenfla 10-22-2012 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5605033)
OH BTW the drunk was out of jail in 12 hours. Go figure.

He was either sober by then or had a real good lawyer!

nurseknitsLaura 10-22-2012 08:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371818[/ATTACH]. Here's standing in the door looking left- the cutting table is in the middle of the room, Singer 201 nd red table with a zig zag set up on the left wall.
on the right wall is cabinets the SINK and you can see the cutting table a little bette.