Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 02-26-2013 05:04 PM

The peg has to be substantial or it will snap off. You still have to drop it on there gently.

Mizkaki 02-26-2013 10:11 PM

Judy,

I can get these through my supply house. I'll have one for you when you next get down here.

Cathy

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 5890750)
Thanks deplaylady and Miriam! I think I'll try to create some kind of peg for my machine.

jennb 02-27-2013 05:19 AM

Well I finally made it home on Saturday. Glad I left when I did or the snowstorm that hit Amarillo would have sidelined me for another few days. I left Friday morning and got about 8 hours down the road when I had a belt break on the car. I was about 10 miles outside of the nearest town, and luckily it was the belt for the alternator and I was able to make it into town on the battery power. I got in at 715 and found an OReilly. As the guy came out to help me figure out what I needed we noticed that steel threads on my front tires were showing all the way around the edge. I hadn't thought to check the tires because they were practically new, with only about 2000 miles on them. Apparently when my brother had a seizure when driving and ran up into someone's yard, he bent something and the alignment was all jacked up. All the tire places were closed so I had to get a hotel room for the night so I could get tires and I could get a mechanic to put the belt on. I finally got on the road again and made it home around lunchtime Saturday.

I got the Pfaff treadle home with me, and now I'm looking for a replacement coffin top for it if I can find it. I have the one for the machine, but its missing a piece on top and the handle. Not a major thing but if I can find an intact one it would be nice. I found an oil can for the stand. The pincushion is there though non functional.

I'm going to try and pull out one of my machines and work on some of my orders which are backed up. I'm not back into the swing of things yet, and I am not back into the mindset of being happy yet, but I have 6 orders to make and I hate the feeling of being overwhelmed and all I want to do is sew for myself. Mom taught me a new technique using crayons to color/tint fabric, and some new embroidery stitches so we both started a small project that I haven't picked up since coming home. I may sit and do nothing but stitch today. I'm sort of wandering around my house wondering what to do and feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed. I guess its normal but I just cant bring myself to start in on all my brother's paperwork just yet, and I know I can't start working on tshirt quilts from all his shirts. Mom and I are going to make one for each of us, my other 2 brothers, and for his neighbor who was his closest friend and who found Andrew after he had died. He's pretty shaken up. He's talked to me quite a bit the last few days. I'm just thankful I have a husband who isn't concerned if the laundry doesn't get done, or I don't feel like cleaning or cooking right now. He just does whatever needs to be done and lets me do what I need to do.

One day at a time. One day at a time.

JudyTheSewer 02-27-2013 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5891365)
Judy,

I can get these through my supply house. I'll have one for you when you next get down here.

Cathy

Excellent! Thank you so much Cathy.

SteveH 02-27-2013 12:41 PM

so, I just posted a set of pic's into an album on my profile of the Willcox & Gibbs treadle unit I just picked up.

Got a great deal on it, but unfortunately it is dated about 30 years too late to be able to remain in my collection... sigh.

blueheavenfla 02-27-2013 02:22 PM

Thank you for thinking of asking this question. I have a Singer from 1889 with the peg and both DH and I wondered about it. Every day I learn something new. I may not comment much but I read every word to learn all I can. Thanks to for the folks with the answer. Yes, Miriam, my peg is quite substantial and I think it would hold the weight of the machine tipped back but am I going to try it??? Not likely since the wood is so old and dry.
Donna

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 5890328)
Once again I saw a picture of an old coffin top sewing machine cabinet and there is a "peg" on the sewing table right behind the machine's pillar. These pegs appear to be about the size of an old fashioned (no metal spring) wooden clothes pin.

What is this for? I've looked in old sewing machine manuals but have not yet seen this peg in any of the manual's pictures. Could it be for resting the coffin top itself on the peg after tipping the top back on its hinges?

I've also seen many pictures where these pegs are broken off of the tables.

As always, thanks so much everyone for your generous sharing of knowledge! I am so glad to have you all to share my love of this hobby.

Glenn 02-27-2013 02:35 PM

I have several treadles with the turned Peg and I rest my heads on them all the time to oil them. You will have no problem with them holding the machine in place.
Skip

miriam 02-27-2013 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5892871)
I have several treadles with the turned Peg and I rest my heads on them all the time to oil them. You will have no problem with them holding the machine in place.
Skip

Only if you drop it hard...

Glenn 02-27-2013 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5892906)
Only if you drop it hard...

Why would you want to drop it hard??? ( You mad at it) I just lean the head over the peg and rest it.
Skip

Glenn 02-27-2013 03:27 PM

BTW I am looking for a spyder for my domestic vs. Does anyone know where I can buy one for it? Would love for it to do a chain stitch. Domestic manual calls it a looper
Skip