Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

SteveH 02-26-2013 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sigh... sorry. Too early to filter myself... ok, awake now... hehe

here is a pic I call the "Wall of Howe"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]398165[/ATTACH]

from left to right ( Model A parts machine, Model B, Model A Repainted, Model A awaiting it's table)

Note on the rightmost Model A there is NO above bed stitch length adjustment!
I looked all over it and found that it is located under the bed right next to the feed dog cams. It seems that they evolved "to" the design that broke on the other two...

the rest of the pics are in the album:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums18131.html

Mizkaki 02-26-2013 12:26 PM

Steve,
I'll check for it when I get home on Friday.

Cathy

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 5889839)
Woo Hoo!! Thank you thank you! Any chance you have the long screw too? That is what I need most.

JudyTheSewer 02-26-2013 01:08 PM

Once again I saw a picture of an old coffin top sewing machine cabinet and there is a "peg" on the sewing table right behind the machine's pillar. These pegs appear to be about the size of an old fashioned (no metal spring) wooden clothes pin.

What is this for? I've looked in old sewing machine manuals but have not yet seen this peg in any of the manual's pictures. Could it be for resting the coffin top itself on the peg after tipping the top back on its hinges?

I've also seen many pictures where these pegs are broken off of the tables.

As always, thanks so much everyone for your generous sharing of knowledge! I am so glad to have you all to share my love of this hobby.

Monroe 02-26-2013 01:11 PM

Good guess- The peg is indeed for resting the coffin top on.

JudyTheSewer 02-26-2013 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 5890335)
Good guess- The peg is indeed for resting the coffin top on.

Thank you so much for the answer!

Mizkaki 02-26-2013 01:24 PM

Judy,

These pegs are seen frequently with the heavy industrial machines. They are for resting the machine head on when it is tilted back for oiling.

Cathy

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 5890328)
Once again I saw a picture of an old coffin top sewing machine cabinet and there is a "peg" on the sewing table right behind the machine's pillar. These pegs appear to be about the size of an old fashioned (no metal spring) wooden clothes pin.

What is this for? I've looked in old sewing machine manuals but have not yet seen this peg in any of the manual's pictures. Could it be for resting the coffin top itself on the peg after tipping the top back on its hinges?

I've also seen many pictures where these pegs are broken off of the tables.

As always, thanks so much everyone for your generous sharing of knowledge! I am so glad to have you all to share my love of this hobby.

JudyTheSewer 02-26-2013 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5890359)
Judy,

These pegs are seen frequently with the heavy industrial machines. They are for resting the machine head on when it is tilted back for oiling.

Cathy

Cathy,

Ah Yes! I just checked my coffin top and even though the peg is missing, I can see that my machine would line up perfectly if it were there. Now I know "what". Now I want to know "why"! I'll guess again. Is it to relieve some of the strain placed on the machine's hinges to the base when it is tilted back?

I decided to post a picture of the hinges on my machine. Although these hinges don't seem as heavy duty as the Singer cabinet hinges, the machine itself is not as heavy as a Singer either.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]398220[/ATTACH]

Thanks so much,
Judy

deplaylady 02-26-2013 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 5890381)
Cathy,

Ah Yes! I just checked my coffin top and even though the peg is missing, I can see that my machine would line up perfectly if it were there. Now I know "what". Now I want to know "why"! I'll guess again. Is it to relieve some of the strain placed on the machine's hinges to the base when it is tilted back?

I decided to post a picture of the hinges on my machine. Although these hinges don't seem as heavy duty as the Singer cabinet hinges, the machine itself is not as heavy as a Singer either.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]398220[/ATTACH]

Thanks so much,
Judy

Yep, used to support machine when you tilt it back for oiling and to get under it. I used to wonder with the New Home I had, thought it had something to do with the coffin lid, until I actually sat down to work on and use the machine. Sure comes in handy to help support the machine when it's tipped back.

miriam 02-26-2013 04:58 PM

When you tip back a commercial machine you do need something - those puppies are HEAVY.

JudyTheSewer 02-26-2013 05:01 PM

Thanks deplaylady and Miriam! I think I'll try to create some kind of peg for my machine.