Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 06-08-2013 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6111373)
I agree with Joe I like the godzilla finish. Reminds me of a football LOL
Skip

Yep!! Must be a guy thing...I can NOT bring myself to accept/love a godzilla...someone else needs to do that for me! ;)

miriam 06-08-2013 03:05 PM

football - touchy feely guy thing - I do like to Singer 306 with a sort of rough finish but not some of the other ones - maybe that stuff could be sanded off...

redbugsullivan 06-08-2013 06:07 PM

I am SO glad I am not the only sewer who finds this finish irritating! One of my National machines never ever gets used because of this "makes my teeth hurt" finish. I know, weird reaction.

JudyTheSewer 06-08-2013 10:11 PM

Well, my mom had a crinkle finish Singer 66 electric that I used as a 10 year old child. I continued to "borrow" that machine into my early 20's. She sold it in the mid 1990's when she downsized from my childhood 5 bedroom home into a townhouse. I now wish I was the one who bought it for the $30 bucks but I just didn't value it at the time. I am a female but have a real affection for the crinkle finish machines. That texture doesn't bother me at all. I like it because because it brings back all of the memories of sewing on that machine and how much I liked sewing.

J Miller 06-09-2013 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 6111383)
Joe, I think I'm going to have to replace that wood...the whole top. :( I'll try a filler and see if I can make it look decent, but I'm already thinking that I will probably have to have it replaced. You can see the one chunk of veneer missing under the handwheel, and there's another larger one on the inside of the lid. The base of the cabinet is in great shape...it's got the embossed #24 cabinet...

The veneer can be patched. I've done that several times. If I had a spare old top with a good corner I might try to graft in a piece to keep from having to replace the whole thing. But, a new top would sure be easier.

Joe

J Miller 06-09-2013 03:47 AM

Well, I don't relate the crinkle finish to a foot ball, never could understand that game enough to play it. I just find them interesting.
Currently I have three crinkle 66s, a Kenmore 117-812, a White Dressmaster, and maybe one more, but I'm not sure.

If I get 'em cheap enough, (like all the rest) I'll gladly bring it home.

Joe

miriam 06-09-2013 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6111998)
Well, I don't relate the crinkle finish to a foot ball, never could understand that game enough to play it. I just find them interesting.
Currently I have three crinkle 66s, a Kenmore 117-812, a White Dressmaster, and maybe one more, but I'm not sure.

If I get 'em cheap enough, (like all the rest) I'll gladly bring it home.

Joe

I might hold you to that.

J Miller 06-09-2013 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6112012)
I might hold you to that.

:D :D :D

J:)e

treadlep 06-09-2013 06:50 AM

Windblown, your 1941 crinkle machine is most likely a 99-23 or 99-24. Same machine, but one is knee bar driven and one not. I have one; it's my avatar. It is cute. There's no K to this model if it's made in New Jersey. I found a manual online by doing a search using the model numbers (one manual for both models). There are usually a few on ebay for an astronomical price, and parts can be easily found. I use mine mainly for decoration, but it works great. Sewing machine oil every once in awhile applied in a light finish and rubbed off will keep it looking good. You should be able to get your light working. Because of its WWII origins, there is an historical significance to this machine and the crinkle finish that may make it easier for you to accept it's appearance---in my opinion you would be dishonoring this machine by hanging an ikea light on it (use one next to it if you must for functionality). Once you get it cleaned up you may love it more.

miriam 06-09-2013 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6112265)
:D :D :D

J:)e

mouse nest and all... :hunf: