Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 06-29-2013 05:21 PM

Well, I fell off the wagon today and bought a Signature from probably the 60's. I walked into a Thrift store and there is was in a nice carry out case. The machine is in great shape, doesn't appear to have been used much at all. No tell tale scratches. I cleaned and oiled her. I am now piecing together a cheater panel and borders for a quilt to put in a camper we just bought so I can go horse camping with the grandkids and friends. I have always avoided the Signature, and Kenmore machines. Today in a weak moment, it was only $20 - I just couldn't pass this one up. I have to admit I am impressed with this machine. It only has 1 cam, it zig zags, has a button hole knob, drops its feed dogs - which, at the present time are stuck up, and it sews really nice - smooth and quiet! Now, I want to find some more cams and see what all this machine can do. Oh and Cathy, it was made by the 'Happy" company. I think I remember you talking about that a while back?

Nancy

miriam 06-29-2013 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 6150804)
Well, I fell off the wagon today and bought a Signature from probably the 60's. I walked into a Thrift store and there is was in a nice carry out case. The machine is in great shape, doesn't appear to have been used much at all. No tell tale scratches. I cleaned and oiled her. I am now piecing together a cheater panel and borders for a quilt to put in a camper we just bought so I can go horse camping with the grandkids and friends. I have always avoided the Signature, and Kenmore machines. Today in a weak moment, it was only $20 - I just couldn't pass this one up. I have to admit I am impressed with this machine. It only has 1 cam, it zig zags, has a button hole knob, drops its feed dogs - which, at the present time are stuck up, and it sews really nice - smooth and quiet! Now, I want to find some more cams and see what all this machine can do. Oh and Cathy, it was made by the 'Happy" company. I think I remember you talking about that a while back?

Nancy

Nancy, I wonder if I have it's twin! I have a MW made by Happy I got on auction - it only has one cam - zz - it seems like it is metal. You can get the feed dog thing to move - T-F the bejeebers out of the thing under there and then let it have time out. More T-F and time out.... Maybe some heat if you get desperate... Mine seems to be a very nice machine, too - kinda heavy. I'll try to shoot it some time.

Mizkaki 06-29-2013 05:57 PM

Nancy,

Let me see a few pictures of the one cam that you have. I can probably match it.
Yes, I do have a beautiful MW ZZ by Happy Sewing Machine Co. in my universal treadle.

Cathy

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 6150804)

Nancy

miriam 06-29-2013 05:58 PM

I was thinking it would treadle. I think some of those MW machines are pretty nice machines.

Mizkaki 06-29-2013 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is one smooth machine. Easy conversion. Just took the motor off and used the original hand wheel.
Here's a picture. The bright white knob on the top is a window crank knob from the hardware store. It is replacing the button hole pot metal knob that was disintegrating.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]421764[/ATTACH]

Cathy

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6150861)
I was thinking it would treadle. I think some of those MW machines are pretty nice machines.

miriam 06-29-2013 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 6150900)
Mine is one smooth machine. Easy conversion. Just took the motor off and used the original hand wheel.
Here's a picture. The bright white knob on the top is a window crank knob from the hardware store. It is replacing the button hole pot metal knob that was disintegrating.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]421764[/ATTACH]

Cathy

Ours don't match.
I wonder what kind of knob would substitute on a missing Singer 401 piggy nose knob???

Mizkaki 06-29-2013 06:28 PM

Probably only one from a donor. :(

Cathy

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6150916)
Ours don't match.
I wonder what kind of knob would substitute on a missing Singer 401 piggy nose knob???

miriam 06-29-2013 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 6150933)
Probably only one from a donor. :(

Cathy

hard to find - those don't die easily

Mizkaki 06-29-2013 06:44 PM

I might have a donor machine. I'll check when I have the energy to go into the hot garage. The temp was 105 or more today. The lungs aren't dealing with that well this week. PM me so I have a reminder.

Cathy

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6150941)
hard to find - those don't die easily

miriam 06-30-2013 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 6150978)
I might have a donor machine. I'll check when I have the energy to go into the hot garage. The temp was 105 or more today. The lungs aren't dealing with that well this week. PM me so I have a reminder.

Cathy

Actually you might be hearing from my sister - she needs one. She reads here but she seldom posts. I may just send her your email. I'm not sure she's done PMs. The sm has set this long - what is a week or two. I've had my share of bronchitis - leaves you weak for a while. I hope those high powered drugs help. Then you have to fix your body some more after the drugs.... I had the bronchitis right before I found out I was expecting my daughter. I had high power drugs, etc, when DH found me on the floor so sick. Then the OB told me to abort my DD. She is 31 YO. She seems to have all her parts... but there have been times....