Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 03-27-2013 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5957969)
Hi Vintagemotif,
I used alcohol soluble aniline dye in black from http://leevalley.com/ but you can order it from any woodworkers cat.(no specific brand) The gold paint is testors in high gloss that you can find in any hobby store. I used a small artist brush to paint the decals. You may need to thin paint out a bit to make it flow easy just don't make it to thin so it runs.
You may want to get a light brown for the shading if needed.
Skip

OMG! Shading! Eeks. I didn't think of that. I need to find photo of machine with decals still intact.
The paint is thinned with what? IF needed.

Thanks!!! Big Bear HUG!:)

Glenn 03-27-2013 08:47 AM

I think a little turps is all you need to thin and you can get in small bottles at the same place you get the paint. No need to buy a big can of thinner it just takes a very small amount. After mixing the dye with the alcohol use shellac as the binder to make a black paint so to speak so you can apply it. If you have any questions during the process just ask away. I am glad to help anytime.
Skip

vintagemotif 03-27-2013 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5958000)
I think a little turps is all you need to thin and you can get in small bottles at the same place you get the paint. No need to buy a big can of thinner it just takes a very small amount. After mixing the dye with the alcohol use shellac as the binder to make a black paint so to speak so you can apply it. If you have any questions during the process just ask away. I am glad to help anytime.
Skip

Thanks!!!!The weather is great for working outdoors now; so, this project is ideal to work on now. This has been on my to do list. At first, I didn't want to deal with the decals, but I'll be brave.:o

Glenn 03-27-2013 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5958052)
Thanks!!!!The weather is great for working outdoors now; so, this project is ideal to work on now. This has been on my to do list. At first, I didn't want to deal with the decals, but I'll be brave.:o

Go slow and with a steady hand. Have fun with it and you will like the results. I like working outdoors and the light is always good. Besides being cleaner air it is just fun to work outside with no fumes.

Glenn 03-27-2013 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5958052)

Just go slow with a steady hand. It is much more fun to work outside and light is always good. Have fun with the painting.
Skip

Glenn 03-27-2013 09:18 AM

Sorry for the double post did not think the first one went thru

Mom3 03-27-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla (Post 5957791)
Dano and Mom3, I think we have triplets as I have one also but the slide plates are both there and it sews beautifully. I refurbished it and the cabinet and my DH painted the irons. It sits proudly where it can be seen by all who enter my home and always gets exclamations of its beauty. Aren't we lucky?
Donna

It would be sweet if Steve could copy your front slide plate and make replacements for us. :)

grant15clone 03-27-2013 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mom3 (Post 5958575)
It would be sweet if Steve could copy your front slide plate and make replacements for us. :)

That could be a cottage industry making those slideplates. Someone could make a small fortune given how many of them are missing. ... WORLDWIDE!!!
Just saying ...
~G~

miriam 03-27-2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5958914)
That could be a cottage industry making those slideplates. Someone could make a small fortune given how many of them are missing. ... WORLDWIDE!!!
Just saying ...
~G~

I think you are right.

DanofNJ 03-27-2013 05:47 PM

I would be first in line for the side plate...but I'll get one eventually.