Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

quilt addict 11-19-2014 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 6920486)
I have yet to see my first Lotus Singer Model 66 in the flesh (in any condition, for sale or not) after 8 years of searching. Good snag!

CD in Oklahoma

I got one, FINALLY last month for $10. Bit of a rust bucket and going to take some time to get the oil to penetrate but hope to have it working soon.

purplefiend 11-21-2014 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6967086)
So, I have a question. I'm a serging newb and am reading about the machine I just purchased:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498693[/ATTACH]

This is the Pfaff Coverlock 4862. I've read online that it does 5-thread coverstitching but the manual makes no mention of anything with 5 threads. It does do 4-thread coverstitching and 3-thread overlocking with a 2-thread overedge. So I'm wondering if they're getting the 5-thread program from the 3+2. Often these machines will thread the fifth thread through the side on the left.

Anyone familiar with these? A 4-thread is fine but a 5-thread is better (more secure). This machine does NOT do a 5-thread safety. It does 13 stitch programs in all.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Sorry I have no experience with your serger, only have Pfaff regular type sewing machines; both old and new.

I have a Huskylock 910 serger that's a 4 thread and it does just fine. I really like mine, bought it new in 2009 when I worked for Husqvarna Viking.
Sharon in Texas

redmadder 11-30-2014 02:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My daughter brought me several machines, some plastic, several older ones. The one disassembled one the dining room table is a Dressmaker. Oiled and cleaned but this has me puzzled.

Is something missing, like a connector or pin. I inserted the blue plastic so you could see it. There is a bit of metal grit under those two pieces. When I get it back together, I'll see if it sew properly. It was so dirty I couldn't tell much. And look ma, its has all the cams.

ThayerRags 11-30-2014 04:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The feed dog is dropped. That shaft needs to slide left into the hole where the blue thing is. The oil mark on the shaft shows where it normally rests for sewing.

CD in Oklahoma

miriam 11-30-2014 05:57 AM

Put a drop of oil on the other end of that feed dog shaft before you turn the knob. You may have to use heat if it is stuck.

redmadder 11-30-2014 06:20 AM

Its not stuck but the knob is missing and there is just a screw to turn it. I oiled the joints and the shaft now slides in and out easily. Guess its time to put some grease in the appropriate places and clean everything. Then I'll close it up and see how it sews.

Youse guys are the greatest. Thanks ThayerRags and Miriam.

Daughter is already taking home two she intended to give me. Guess I shoulda waited till she left for home to fix them.

redmadder 12-07-2014 04:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Dressmaker S-9000 needs the tension spring replaced. I don't know how to ask for the part. The shaft has to be removed from the machine and the spring slides onto the back. Its very similar to the Singer's but their diameter is too big.

chris_quilts 12-07-2014 10:19 AM

Passed on a Singer DeLuxe II Touch and Sew at an estate sale yesterday. The woman said it was a superb machine. She also had several sledge hammers for sale. :D:D:D:D I told her no thank you and did not engage her about the sewing machine other than to ask its price. She was being realistic. $30 for the machine in a cabinet. I told her I hoped she sold it. DH thankful I wasn't interested in the machine since I have quite a few already. It really was too recent for me and even DD knew that.

SteveH 12-09-2014 07:58 PM

sorry folks... just venting....

I do not believe that I will ever use UPS again.

I have a package in transit that was shipped to me from VA using UPS ground. (I requested USPS but seller wanted to use UPS)

I got a message when it was 1/2 way across the country that the package was "not unloaded" from the truck and therefore there will be a delay. Odd, but Ok, things happen.

On Monday (the rescheduled day) it is in Oakland (very close), but nothing on tracking until 4:38pm when the update says "we did not load this on the truck, so there will be a delay" WTH?

I called and they apologized for the busy time of the year and assured me it would be delivered Tuesday (today)

No delivery, no status change, no updates.

I call again and am told that they do not know any more than what is posted.... But since it is only 6 miles from my house (and 1/2 mile from my work) They can let me come pick it up tonight! Cool. They sent a message to the "customer center" to have them verify that they have the package and that I can come pick it up. I mentioned that it was 6pm and they close at 7pm. I was told they will call you within the hour and make arrangements to let me pick it up after 7.

7:00 and no call... I call "customer service" again and am told "sorry, let me let you talk to my supervisor. 10 more minutes on hold, Supervisor repeats the info from the log I have on my phone App.... again...

The only solution is to put the package on hold, and I can come get it in person tomorrow. They do not open until 12 noon.... but even then I should not go there until they update the status that it is ready....

Oh no.... I will be ther at 12:05 and be a pain in someones backside until i get my 1876 Wheeler & Wilson Treadle (I have the 4 digit serial number head already (it came USPS before)

Never again.....

end of rant. thanks for listening

Jeanette Frantz 12-09-2014 08:43 PM

Steve, I know what you mean -- A couple of years ago, I shipped a package to my cousin in OK. I sent it out on Dec 4, and it didn't arrive at her location until January 18, and yes, I used USPS. To make a long story short, the Post Office here in Florida put the zip code for Hiawasse, AR on the package, instead of Cleo Springs, OK! PLUS when the package finally arrived, and it was literally in pieces (nothing fragile in it), but a sweater I'd bought as a gift was missing, as well as a couple of other items. Frankly, it really ticks me off! But I'll let that go for now. Hope you get your machine okay!

Jeanette