Problems are making me sad

Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 PM

Unhappy Problems are making me sad

Hi, friends!

I have picked up two older machines just because they are pretty! I cleaned them, oiled them everywhere anything moved, hugged them and brushed away their tears...put on new thread, got new bobbins for them, got the threading diagrams, rethreaded several times, used new needles of different sizes...in short, I've been fussing with them for several days now. They both have the identical problem - which to me means it's really common or I am really missing something!

Both have dots of bobbin thread coming up, no matter how I change the tension (including the bobbin tension, but don't worry, I made note of where it started). I'm using light thread on top and dark thread on the bottom (Gutermann polyester).

I need help! I really want to get these right on my own if at all possible. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Margaret F (ps, I added the pic with the stitching later. Also fixed the bobbin winder so it wasn't on (Morse))
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468966[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468964[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]468965[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails necchi6.jpg   morse1.jpg   comparison-stitches.jpg  

Last edited by MFord; 03-25-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Forgot somethiing
Old 03-25-2014, 09:19 PM

Did you clean the tension?

Is the bobbin seated correctly?

Needle facing the right way?

Needle threaded the correct direction?

Deep breath, walk away for the night. I'm sure someone else will chime in with other suggestions to check too!
Old 03-26-2014, 02:34 AM
Power Poster

Anastasia is giving you a good start.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:16 AM

at least it doesn't appear that they are skipping stitches. I think you are close, try sewing 3 layers of cotton, or a couple layers of denim. Just my 2c worth, but that material appears skimpy and the bobbin thread may not have much choice if the material is kind of shear. i may be wrong, probably am. The other points might be to look at using the same thread top and bottom, with a new standard needle. If you can stitch well under those circumstances, other materials and threads are just minor balancing of tension, needle dia, etc. IMO
Old 03-26-2014, 05:25 AM

My vintage machines don't like polyester thread. When I try to use it, I get close to the same result. When I use 100% cotton thread, size 50 (standard size) in both the top and bottom, they respond with pretty stitches.

Just a thought..... some machines like only certain threads.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:29 AM

Like Oldsewandsew said, you're pretty close. If your top tension is already loose, then you need to loosen up your bottom tension.
Rodney
Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 AM

Margaret,

When I acquire a machine I usually, after an initial test run, start with the bobbin tension by turning the tension to max tight and then turn the screw CCW about 1/2 turn. At this point I will pull, once the bobbin is installed, on the thread and by feeling the amount of tension required to extract the thread from the bobbin I would stop any additional adjustment. Begin threading as if ready to sew. When the thread is through the needle eye, begin pulling on the thread. At "0" setting there should be little or no tension. Now continue increasing upper thread tension a little at a time and if all goes well, you should get the right amount of tension around the mid-range on the dial, say around 5-7. Run a test after each adjustment and see if the stitch locks between the 2 layers of material. With 21 machines in my collection, and not scientific, this works for me. This is a trial & error process. Any adjustments must very small, especially the bobbin, maybe a 1/12 turn at a time. Hope this helps out.

Rodney
Ponchatoula, La.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:03 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I will probably not get a chance to try them until tomorrow as today is pretty booked up with grandchildren (mine and a friend's). I'm sure it's something simple, just having some 1/2 brain days due to allergies! All the trees are blooming, and I'm allergic to pretty much all the small-pollen trees. My face looks like the Pillsbury Dough Boy at present!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 PM

I'll bet it is the polyester thread. It will stretch when you try to sew with it.[sometimes]. LOL
Old 03-26-2014, 01:23 PM

They do look pretty close, especially the Electra. Try sewing some heavier fabric, and see if that helps. It also looks like you're using a pretty unforgiving fabric there; try some quilting cotton or denim, and it will likely look better.

Can you see dots of the top thread on the bottom as well? If so, the fabric is just too thin to hide the stitch.

Those are beautiful machines, btw! I especially like the Electra (Necchi?). It looks like it does a small handful of utility stitches, then embroidered swans and tulips? What a great combination of stitches!