Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A question about FMQ with a FW

A question about FMQ with a FW

I wasn't sure I would be able to quilt with my FW but using the alphasew walking foot was great. Now, I want to FMQ using this foot that came with the last FW I bought. I know I will have to put the plate over the feed dog area but I've never seen one of these feet attached to the FW and I would rather ask for help than do something that would damage the foot or make a mess of the quilt. I'm such a visual learner! What is the curly wire for? Does the thread go through that? Is there a demo on using this somewhere on Utube, etc? Help!! I really want this quilt to be 100% FW made so I need to figure out how to use this foot for the FMQ that this quilt needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The curly wire is just the spring that allows the stripper to pop up as the needlebar rises. No, you don't thread through it - just put it on like any other foot (and tighten it a bit with a screwdriver) Have fun!

Thank you, polyparrot. I will have to post a picture when I get this one done. It's turning out really cute.

Blog Entries
    I would never quilt with my FWs; they are much too precious to injure to my way of thinking. However, I do have several old (or vintage) machines that I might try it with. I have a Gammill, so this is a moot point with me. But, if you do have an older machine with a regular type short shank like the FWs have, give one of them a try. The speed would ruin the FW; but I am not a fast sewer. I have a hard time sewing fast enough to satisfy my Gammill on stitch regulator mode. This is just a suggestion in passing to save a little FW. I love those little things; I have two that were given to me, one that was built in the year of my birth; and one that I paid $50 for a couple of years ago.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Thanks for the info OtnQL, but I don't plan on sewing fast. This quilt is a lap quilt so smaller than even a twin. I did a baby quilt on it last week with the walking foot and that was just fine. I do have a 99 and a 101 up here with me at my cabin that I bought this summer and haven't had a chance to work with yet. If I think there is a problem with my FW I'll switch to one of those and try to finish up things. I don't want to do anything that my FW wouldn't like. I have 3 and love them all. I just have one up here with me this summer..... and will be heading back to warmer weather in a few short weeks.

Blog Entries
    I FMQ on my FW all the time. I also teach quilting on one of these little beauties. I have been using a FW for FMQ for a very long time, and my machines are well maintained and in good health. My Machines prefer the darning feet that have the plastic bottoms. Also, I do not cover the feed dogs; I just set the stitch length at zero. I also loosen the pressure on the presser foot so the quilt can move easily.
    Stephanie in Mena

where in the UP? I'm between Munising & Manistique in Hiawatha Nat'l Forest.
    johans, Michigan's UP, where 906 is God's area code

What in the world is a FW?

Poking around I will assume it is a Featherweight but the foot in the picture completely escapes me?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by knitsew View Post
    Poking around I will assume it is a Featherweight but the foot in the picture completely escapes me?
    yes, it is a Featherweight and that is a hopping or darning foot, can be used on any short shank machine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast