Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
questions about my gift machine 115 >

questions about my gift machine 115

questions about my gift machine 115

Old 04-24-2016, 12:58 PM

Default questions about my gift machine 115

I posted pictures of a treadle that was gifted to me and in one drawer there were these feet. I can't see how any but the original foot would fit on this machine. I am hoping someone can tell me what they might be for. I can see a couple aren't really feet more like guides. I put the original foot in the upper left hand corner. I don't even see how they would fit with the machine with the manual in the drawer either which was 127 and 128.
Thanks for your help!
Lynda
Attached Thumbnails feet.jpg  
Old 04-24-2016, 01:24 PM

Most of those feet are meant to work with a different attaching system than Singer. Singer uses side clamping feet (and occasionally back clamping) and these are mostly rotory clamping feet, also called top clamping feet or rotory feet. Many manufacturers used this system with slight variations on where the needle hole is, etc. so I'm afraid I couldn't tell you just by looking at them what machines these would go with.

But! Rest assured, you aren't crazy:except perhaps the small foot in the upper left of the picture, these feet simply don't fit your machine!
Old 04-24-2016, 02:02 PM

Yes those look like top clamp Rotary feet. These are the stort of attatchments that will work with your 115, the same feet as for model 128. Singer had a series of general low shank models; model 15, 27, 28 (as well as 128 and 127), 115, 66, 99, 201, 327, and a few others.

I use the general straight stitch foot, zipper foot, felling foot (two widths), quilting foot with guide, darning foot. I think I need the bias binder foot for my next projects to make neat finishes on jackets and trousers.

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-24-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:12 PM

they are only called "rotary" when it's a set for a rotary machine. The only difference between rotary and vs are the shirr plate and underbraider, the rest are the same. The set shown is for a VS machine, becuase it's got teh slide shirr plate, but everything but that part would fit a rotary machine too.

The tucker has been taken apart, and the hemstitcher is a separate attachment that will work on most machines. The small rectangular piece in the lower right corner is part of the hemstitcher attachment - That goes over the top and a screw goes in the slot and into the hole on the bed of the machine.

The long piece with the circle cut out in the middle is for mounting a light fixture into an electrical box - always interesting seeing what gets put in with sewing machine attachments!

Most of the other "weird" looking pieces are parts of the tucker, not sure if it's all there though.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:33 PM

I put numbers on your picture to help identify what you have.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]548539[/ATTACH]

It looks to me that the pieces #1, #5, #8, #17 (part of hemstitcher) and #18 could be used on the 115.

1. your original foot
2. Shirring plate for a long shuttle machine -
3. This is a drawer lock I believe and looks like it might be the triangular ended type
4. Ruffler
5. Seam Guide THIS might work on your 115
6. I think that this is part of the tucker with 9 and maybe 19
7. Light fixture part
8. imitation hemstitcher piece - might be attached to the bed
9. See #6 - part of tucker
10. Binder
11. Hemmer
12. Hemmer
13. Hemmer
14. Hemmer
15. Cording/Braiding foot
16. Maybe another ruffler
17. Maybe part imitation hemstitcher?
18. Monogram Embroidery Gude probaby by Yandell Sales. This will probably work on your #1 foot
19. I think this is part of Tucker with #6 & #9

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails qb_-feet-bits.jpg  
Old 04-25-2016, 04:17 AM

Janey, thank you for that information. I couldn't figure out how to number them so I will print this up and take a look at it and maybe my friend knows or has a machine that uses the odd parts. The pieces like the hemmers I wish would fit my machine but I have been blessed with 2 other Singer models that use the same feet, so they are interchangeable. Now to figure out how to use the pieces that may work on my machine.
Thanks all of you for your help, the people on this board are the best!!!!
Lynda
Old 04-25-2016, 04:48 AM

That's a very neat over view Janey, in every sense of the word ;- ) I struggle a bit to indetify unfamiliar fett too, and equally so with the soft ware for adding writing and numbering on a picture. How do you do that?
Old 04-25-2016, 06:33 AM

It's very, very common to find attachments that with other machines mixed together.

Based on the style of ruffler, #4, this set is most likely to fit a machine made by National (and they sold them with over 600 badge names). However people often combined parts as they got a new machine and kept the attachments for the one they had before that. I would assume that sometimes someone got ahold of a vintage machine, and picked up vintage attachments at a thrift store with no clue what they fit - and just put them with the old machine.

Learning to identify old attachments is the main reason I've got such a variety of machines. The top clamp style came in a lot of variations. Most are either White, National, Standard, Free, New Home (before Free took control) but there are quite a few others that are much less common. Older machines took feet that had round holes in the top, and slipped onto the bottom of the presser bar. For US machines of the time, Singer was the odd duck with the side clamp feet. However that was the common method for European machines.

The next step is learning to identify the add on attachments - those that are much rarer and worth way more. Most times the basic set came with the machine, and the sewer bought additional ones as needed. So you'll find a rare attachment tucked into a box along with the basic set.

I picked up a single thread and double thread embroidery attachments in a cabinet with a beat up old Singer 15-91 - for $32.50. Those two attachments combined, sell on eBay for over $700. I didn't want the machine, but when I saw what was in the drawers, I couldn't get it loaded fast enough!
Old 04-26-2016, 03:16 AM

WOW I wish mine were that valuable!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:52 AM

Default light fixture mount

Still giggling. I have purchased two sets of feet from the internet that contained the same light fixture mount. Wonder what they were thinking. Is there something the rest of the world is missing? Very puzzling. Maybe it just looks like an attachment, but not to us.