Questions on old Singer

Old 10-04-2015, 02:49 PM

I know it's not my machine, but please take that clamp off the arm. It makes the beautiful machine look as though she is being choked!!! I have no idea why someone would put a clamp there.

I'm so happy you are keeping, using, and loving this Red Eye; it is so beautiful.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:03 PM

I also think you are NOT supposed to get the Kerosene on the outside of the machine. So be careful also.LOL
Old 10-04-2015, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 View Post
... but please take that clamp off the arm. It makes the beautiful machine look as though she is being choked!!! I have no idea why someone would put a clamp there.
The clamp will probably damage the decals. I've seen a lot of older machines with a piece of fabric around the neck there, used as a pin cushion. That might be the explanation. It's was and still is a bad idea for those of us who want to keep the paint and decals in good shape. Pins scratch, and so does the clamp, especialy with no fabric between.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by barny View Post
I also think you are NOT supposed to get the Kerosene on the outside of the machine. So be careful also.LOL
No, it's okay. Some people actually use a kerosene dunk to clean totally frozen machines. It's alcohol you don't want to drip on a Japanned machine.

Cari

The clamp may have held a makeshift pin cushion but I've also seen after market lights held on by clamps like this.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
The clamp will probably damage the decals. I've seen a lot of older machines with a piece of fabric around the neck there, used as a pin cushion. That might be the explanation. It's was and still is a bad idea for those of us who want to keep the paint and decals in good shape. Pins scratch, and so does the clamp, especialy with no fabric between.
I did take the clamp off and it did leave a few small scratches on the neck. I had no idea what it was there for. I have been using it and it sews like a cadillac. Love it!
Old 10-07-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 View Post
I know it's not my machine, but please take that clamp off the arm. It makes the beautiful machine look as though she is being choked!!! I have no idea why someone would put a clamp there.

I'm so happy you are keeping, using, and loving this Red Eye; it is so beautiful.
i did take the clamp off. I had no idea what it was on there for. Thought maybe it served some purpose and needed to be there but a friend told me it was not necessary and was covering the red eye. I took it off and it did leave a few small scratches.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
It sounds as your machine runs all fine by now, but as mentioned it can take a few rounds before all the gunk and grime comes out of the inners of joints, gears, and hinges. When everything is flushed out it will run another notch smoother. With a bit more oil and sewing the next few days I'm sure you will wipe off clean oil by the end of the week :- ) You mostly notice if the machine stand for a while, this gunk is what makes an oiled machine sluggish and sticky again if left alone for a few days.

Does your machine have the red oil felt near the bobbin race? On my model 99 which is about the same, the felt bit is missing. It should be held in place by a tiny spring. I need to find a way to fit a new one.
I just read your question, have been out of town, but I will look tomorrow and see if I can figure out what you are talking about. This machine is so new to me that I hardly can take it all in. Wish I was more of an expert with the cleaning and keeping the decals as pristine as they are. Guess I will just use it and pass it on to my neice when I am done with it. She is the only one who sews from my brothers family so she will inherit it when I am done with it since it is her dad who gave it to me.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:03 AM

It's small thing really, I just go on and on about it. By just using the machine and care for it, it all will gradually come to you. It's an easy well behaved machine. The only thing that took me a while to pick up on was the insertion of the bobbin, it has to be done the correct way from which it is wound, or the tread will jump out of the tension spring. I was used to vertical bobbin cases, not the drop in kind.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:56 AM

Rodney and anyone else who gave me such good advice on the Singer model 66-1. I have now got it cleaned up and running perfectly. Made a small baby quilt and a table topper for my sister-in-law who initially owned the machine. They want me to have it and down the road when I am done with it pass it on to their daughter who is beginning to do some quilting. Win/win all around. I just wanted to thank everyone who was so kind as to help me with this. Grammasharon
Old 04-18-2016, 11:45 AM

This machine is in near perfect cosmetic condition. Don't throw it away and that would be Goodwill or a thrift store. Put it on Ebay or another trading site. I wish I could come get it, but it is too far. I already have one, but it is way too nice to go there. Can't someone on QB or VSS take it?