For the quilters

Old 03-11-2014, 04:12 AM

I use my 15-91 for FMQing because:
1. The feed dogs drop
2. It has the largest harp of any machine I own
3. Very good visibility
4. It has a verticle bobbin which means it has one less twist that the bobbin thread has to go through. Also makes it easier to change the bobbin in the middle of a quilt.
5. It is the only machine I have that is so forgiving that it will sew in any direction without thread breaks, bird's nests or eyelashes on the back of the quilt.
6. It is easy to clean and maintain.
7. It's pretty.
8. I feel connected to the past when I use it!

i love my 15-91, but don't give up on your clone. It quite possible will do a great job with FMQing. The only way to know is to try it! Let us know what you discover about your clone!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:40 AM

Okay, I have to chime in here and share my love of my 15-91s. I agree with all that Linda said..... but one of the things I love about my 15-91s is that it is in a cabinet and stays put when I FMQ. I have mine set up next to an old table that supports the quilt while FMQing. That makes such a difference for me. The machine stays put, no moving around, while that huge quilt gets moved back, forth, and around. I just finished a 74x84 quilt without any problems.
I didn't think I wanted another cabinet.... so little room.... but it really does make a huge difference.

And, I've purchased 3 15-91s..... 1 for my summer cabin, 1 for my son's house where we spend our winters, and 1 to give my SIL for a birthday present. She came and FMQed on mine and really wanted one..... so, I had to find another. They ARE great machines.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:00 AM

I have four 15-91's and I know I only need one or maybe two but I just can't seem to part with them. I have one that is in a cabinet that is set up at all times in my sewing room for my fmq work. I don't do a lot of FMQ because I don't care for the heavily quilted quilts but I do use FMQ on borders and inside blocks. I just dearly love the way the 15-91 works on FMQ and it is also great for other sewing but I usually use my 201 for putting on binding. This way I can keep the darning foot on the 15-91, and the walking foot on the 201. It is a perfect setup for me.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:58 AM

What does this machine look like....pic please...
Old 03-11-2014, 09:48 AM

Thank you all very much. It is confusing to a newbie when people say how great something is without the explanations. I am so glad to see this thread is inspiring and helping others to understand what a gem the cute 15-91 is.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 AM

I've done smaller projects on a 91 and a 90 (belted motor) with no problems - but I can imagine where not having the belt would be an advantage with larger quilts. I've gotten things wrapped up in motor belts before, and it isn't a pretty sight.

Not that you can't do it, just have to be aware and careful where your excess fabric is. I tend to leave everything unrolled and shove it around as needed - only having the area I'm working on smoothed out in front of me. I routinely knock over my thread spool holder, or knock my pins off the table next to me, or push other stuff off that I'm not even aware is in my way.

BTW - I've got two fully cleaned, rewired and working 15-91's that need new homes. I've used both for FMQ. One we fixed up for a lady, and then she changed her mind, and the other was my main FMQ machine until I bought the Silver one, and I don't have room for all of them. I also have my 15-90 in a case that I'll be keeping.

Last edited by Macybaby; 03-11-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 AM

Here is a youtube on 15-91

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5IGR47HtxA
Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 AM

This would be a huge factor for me because I plan on doing queen and king size spreads. So having an exposed belt would not be a great idea.

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've done smaller projects on a 91 and a 90 (belted motor) with no problems - but I can imagine where not having the belt would be an advantage with larger quilts. I've gotten things wrapped up in motor belts before, and it isn't a pretty sight.

Not that you can't do it, just have to be aware and careful where your excess fabric is. I tend to leave everything unrolled and shove it around as needed - only having the area I'm working on smoothed out in front of me. I routinely knock over my thread spool holder, or knock my pins off the table next to me, or push other stuff off that I'm not even aware is in my way.

BTW - I've got two fully cleaned, rewired and working 15-91's that need new homes. I've used both for FMQ. One we fixed up for a lady, and then she changed her mind, and the other was my main FMQ machine until I bought the Silver one, and I don't have room for all of them. I also have my 15-90 in a case that I'll be keeping.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:15 PM

Sent you a PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post

Old 03-11-2014, 05:21 PM

I would be interested in one of the teo machines you would like to sell. Please forward more particulars on the machines, including the codt. Look forwsrd to hearing from you! Thanks!