Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Receiver Hitch Sewing Machine Carrier? >

Receiver Hitch Sewing Machine Carrier?

Receiver Hitch Sewing Machine Carrier?

Old 12-01-2013, 05:15 AM

Default Receiver Hitch Sewing Machine Carrier?

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a Receiver Hitch Wheelchair Carrier to haul my sewing machine treadle on, or maybe even haul an H-leg or K-leg power stand. Of course, I’d put the sewing machine head inside of the vehicle. I’m just not sure if I could keep from damaging something. I’ve seen those carriers get to jumping up and down if they’re not shimmed well.

Has anyone tried one of these Receiver Hitch Carriers (wheelchair or cargo) to haul cabinets or stands?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-01-2013, 05:55 AM

If there's a way you can run a couple of ratchet straps from the outer corners of the carrier to your vehicle to bear weight and most importantly reduce bounce I'd think you'd be good to go even with just one of those Harbor Freight carriers.
If you could weld up an additional receiver tube to your hitch to provide two point mounting you'd be in really good shape.

IME it's the twist and bounce that gets you.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:52 AM

The carrier will be going onto a pickup truck that is fitted with a topper shell, so I can’t get to my stake holes easily, and wouldn’t want to come off of the topper with any kind of weight. Most times, hauling either a treadle of a power stand, it will be simpler to lay the stand on its back and slide it into the bed of the truck. I have some foam exercise mats that work great for that. They have a slick fabric on one side and foam rubber on the other. Using them upside down with the slick fabric down, they make a good sled for sliding things like that in and out of the bed. I use clothesline cord to tie off to tie-downs inside of the bed. Messing with attaching the carrier to the truck would be more work than just loading the stand in the bed and going.

The times that I’d want to use a Receiver Hitch Carrier would be when the pickup bed is already full, like when we’re attending an event with our tables, display stands, and totes full of retail merchandise. I guess we could put the totes on the carrier instead of the stand, but setting the stand up on the carrier and strapping it down seems like better use of our space.

I don’t know if I’d be able to drop the tailgate with the carrier on or not. It would depend on the design of the carrier, I guess. If I could drop the gate without removing the carrier, I don’t know how it will be working across the carrier either. I’d hate to have to remove the carrier each time I loaded and unloaded. I’ve never had one, but using shims in the hitch tubing would probably make getting the carrier on and off a little tough at times, and probably more trouble than it’s worth.

The only other use that I would have for the Wheelchair Carrier would be to haul our parade buggy a couple of times each year. It’s a mobility scooter that I removed the seat and built a mock-up of a sewing machine cabinet on it that I can hide in and operate the scooter. I haven’t used it for a couple of years, and I’ve sold the trailer that I used to haul it on. It was a 16-foot car-hauler trailer, and was really overkill to haul a mobility scooter on.

I’ve thought about getting a small trailer instead of the receiver hitch carrier, but those things can bounce badly too, plus, they’re right in the way for loading and unloading the truck. I guess I could win the lottery and buy one of those big toy-hauler enclosed trailers big enough for everything and then some, but I’m going to have to go a little more economical until then. Besides that, being as compact as possible helps minimize loading, unloading, and parking space problems that come along with trailers.

CD in Oklahoma